Tool change issues

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Tool change issues

Post by jason galbraith »

Hi all, we were having issues the other day with "The drawbar down switch has not closed, check that the program/manual switch is set to program" error and the tool would get stuck in the changer and not come out. The tools and holder have been routinely cleaned. I have checked the guages on the back and all the pressures are reading correctly and the guage shoots up to 58 LBS when the tool is being ejected. After much checking with manually removing the tool it appers that there is very little air presure forcing the tool out. Where mormally it would make a type of unlock sound and a great force of air would really push the tool out it now feels like there is only a small breeze pushing on the tool. The machine now will sometimes sit in one spot for up to about 4 mins before a tool will eject.
Ideas anybody?
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Tool change issues

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Jason,
We've had this issue when toolholders start to get worn - even though they are clean. Have you tried replacing the toolholder that is the culprit or does this happen with more than one tool?
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
jason galbraith

It happens on a variety of tools, not just one. The thing that I don't understand is the lack of air pressure pushing the tool out.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
jason galbraith

Can somebody/anybody from Thermwood offer any ideas? Please? Pretty Please?
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

If you need tech support call them 800-221-3865
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
jason galbraith

Ha ha. Yeah I've been down that path before. I get into work at 5am to call the US, which will get them towards the end of their day. I get on the phone to talk to the secretary, who then puts me on the line to a phone that won't answer and then puts me onto a phone that goes on hold for 20mins only to hang up on me. 3 times this has happened. My faith in ringing Thermwood is not great. At least if i post in the forums, I know that someone from Thermwood tech support is actually reading it, but they are ignoring it. Surely it does not take too long to offer up a few suggestions or ask me a few questions about the issue.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Jason
I have this issue before when it was cold at night then the next morning it would do this and also some times when multable machines that used the same air compresser were in use. The fix was to warm up the head for about 30 min if the cold temp was a factor and to shut air off to unnesseary machines.Even though the pressure guages read correct the compresser may not be able to keep up with the 100 psi required to the machine. Another thought woud be to check your air lines for debree if your air is oily and wet it might clog those small lines.
jason galbraith

Thanks Scott, I appreciate your time. All air pressures are spot on. We've had an air technician come in and tested all guages for pressure and there is no debris at all in any of the lines. All air lines have filters on them so no water or oil in anything either. Not very cold here on this part of the coast (we're in spring now and even in winter it is very rare to even get frost on the ground)and the issue is occurring even when the CNC is the only machine using air. Filters have also been cleaned on the spindle motor. Is there any use serviceable parts in the spindle motor that we should be looking at I wonder?

Thanks again all who've replied.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Jason,

I understand the telephone problem from half way around the world but I am sure and email to service@thermwood.com will get some results.

I don't think the forums are considered part of the tech support. They may not be monitored closely enough to be considered an option for immediate service concerns.

Kerry
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

Hi
Make sure your main air pressure to the machine is 100 psi. The 58 lb guage is only for positive air flow to blow dust off during tool changes. Also, on the "cone release" side of the spindle, there is an in-line flow control valve. You can open it up all the way to make the drawbar react quicker. If that doesnt help, i would take the flow control out and make sure there is no blockage in it. If you need further assistance, call in to our service department. 1-800-221-3865. Thanks
Thermwood Technician
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Jason did you mention refridgeration on your air line? I have this but it was under powered so moisture was still getting through. Thermwood did warn me of this but I was being a tight bum. Not sure if the filters are as good as the refridge unit. It did cost me getting the spindle changed over after 3 years of use so I wasn't happy.
Just on the tech issue try ringing Flecknoe first as they are always at work being West Aussies. If you fall flat with them you still have email tech or talking to the Thermwood secretary. :lol:
I did wonder why Thermwood doesn't have 24 hour service when some firms do operate their machines around the clock? If you are selling machines around the world to different times zones you should think this is part of the territory?

My machine has been working well till yesterday when someone tried to park a tool with a tool just been put there. Grrr

All the best
Neville
Neville Australia