Dust left from cutting

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Dust left from cutting

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey how's it all going?

Just wondering what other users of thermwoods do with the dust left on the cut sheet after you take the parts off. Do you blow the dust off the cut sheet (which goes every where) or do you suck it up with a vacuum? Or do something else with it?

Thanks inadvance

Thom Davies
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I usually inhale most of it :joker:

I don't have a router but I do create plenty of sawdust which I sweep off of the part and vacuum from the floor.

Dan
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Yeah i inhale some as well so does every body on the floor!!!

But the biggest problem is dust getting on the tool collets and then i get alot of that brown collet burn and also get on the parts i have just cut and some times labels dont like being stuck to dust when i try to put them on the parts!

Thanks
Thom Davies
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Oh the labels love to stick to dust...you just can't get the dust to re-stick to the part after you put a label on it :wink:

Not having seen one of the routers I'm not much help. Is there not a dust collection attachment point near the cutter? From the machines I have seen though, it seems like it would be a pretty simple matter to connect a flexible hose to the cutting head.

Dan
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

If you caught my thread about dust masks a while back, you can see the reason I inhale so much dust--I couldn't figure out how to wear the mask :!: :wall: :joker:

Dan
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

What little dust is left over after machining (good primary extraction is the key) is vacuumed up and then finally blowen away with an air duster. with the strength of my extraction system I have almost zero dust on the cut parts so sticking lables is not a problem, the only problem I do have occasionally is that it is so strong that small parts can get lifted off the table during machining, but that is more a factor of a slightly under spec vac pump.
David Hall
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by David Hall »

Vacuum and then compressed air to blow off.
David Hall
Hall's Edge Inc.
eCabinets Machining Services
http://www.HallsEdge.com
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

We don't use labels anymore so no problem with them sticking. We just write the cab number on the part and our assemblers know where they belong. If this is not an alternative for you we also had a vavumn line that Y'd
off the main line over the center of the table and had a flexible hose with wand attached. Now that we write on the parts we slide the cut parts off the table reload new sheet and mark parts while the machine is running then stack parts on cart and lift sheet up to dump dust on the floor to be swept up at end of day. This keeps our dust collector from filling up to fast.

Forrest
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I don't have a problem with dust on my parts but do have some on my table after removing the cut parts. I brush the table off with a hand brush then sweep the floor later. My dust collector is a 3 HP Oneida and I am thinking of upgrading to a 5HP. Now I worry about the small parts moving from too much vacuum. I have some troubles with the vacuum brush cup pushing small parts. The stronger vac may make this worse.

Brian
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey guys

One of the reasons we have dust left on the cut sheet is cos the skirt around the cutter is set up to the smallest cutter we use so when it uses the 4mm cutter the skirt is just touching the board. when it cuts out the parts the skirt is sitting up from the board 13mm. we could make a longer skirt but when it uses the small cutter it might scratch the board because the skirt would be set up for the longest cutter. The extraction on the thermwood is very good as well.

Thanks
Thom Davies
Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Post by Dale Wills »

We temporarily have our dust extraction setup through our old extractor. It's not doing too well as its leaves alot behind. We are waiting for a new design from the states which apparantly is the 'bees knees'. It's not constructed for our power set-up here in Australia yet. So at the moment we are just blowing the dust off with an air nozel which sends it everywhere. I've got this kick ass dust mask which looks like something Darth Vader would wear. It looks cumbersome but is a good design and works well. Shortly we will have some help via an industrial vacuum which we are looking at. Plan to suck off all the dust before we place labels on.
Dale
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Dale

When you get your new extaction can you put on here what it like? I'll be very keen to hear about it!

Thanks
Thom Davies
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

We bought a 4 bag dust extractor second hand over a year ago. It has been brilliant! All we do is give the part a little wipe with the back of the hand and stick the sticker on. Once we have emptied the sheet off and clashed everything it is as easy as lifting one side of the sheet and giving it a flick which just puts all the dust on the floor. doesnt seem to leave much dust on the floor at all and certainly no dust in the air to breath in.
We are looking at connecting our big outside extractor up over the christmas break so i will tell you how that goes in the new year.
Thom Davies
Guru Member

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey paul how's it going?

How is your skirt thing around the router set up? how high is it off the board when cutting it out?

Thanks

Thom Davies
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hey Thom,
Most of the time the hood is almost touching the top of the board. If we are cutting 30mm we use the 12mm cutter and it is almost touching then aswell.
Take a look at this (It might be in the same place on your comuter)
I have thought about getting one of these as it would also brush the surface of the board hopefully leaving no dust at all.
C:\\Program Files\\Thermwood\\eCabinet Systems\\store\\Vacuum Brush Cups\\Thermwood