Recommended Laptop?

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

John J. Desmond
Company Name: American Millwork Company

Recommended Laptop?

Post by John J. Desmond »

Can anyone tell me where I can find the recommended laptop to run eCabinets? It seems that on Dell or Hp websites they have everything but what is recommended. Any ideas?

John
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Recommended Laptop?

Post by Josh Rayburn »

John,
Here's the link. I have integrated graphics because I couldn't afford a better model with a discreet graphics card. I say get the best CPU processor you can afford. 3d graphics are working fine with my low end laptop but for general CPU processing - well, I've had my laptop for five days and wish I would have had more money to spend on it. Man is it ssloooowwwww.....

http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/ecabinet ... system.htm

All the best,
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
John J. Desmond

Thanks Josh. I know what to get. The problem I am having is finding the laptop workstation that eCabinets suggests. It seems you can't purchase what they recommend anywhere. Maybe it needs to be custom built. Thanks for the input though.

John
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

John,

I think the computer specs on the eCabinets site are a bit outdated. Some things I think you will want are. (these are just my opinions based on personal experience. I am not a computer guru)

Windows 7 64 bit. (eCabinets is a 32 bit application but I think benefits from 64 bit being able to address more RAM)

Fast processor speed. (most chips will be dual or quad core, eCabinets does not use these directly but once again benefits as one core can be dedicated to ecabs while another is running other apps)

Plenty of RAM. I would say 6 gig minimum. eCabinets won't address that much but there will be plenty to go around for the operating system and other apps running at the same time.

A dedicated graphics card with its own memory is essential. Do some research and get a card designed for CAD applications not gaming. Don't skimp here.

Get the fastest hard drive you can find.

eCabinets can be a very frustrating software to use and an underpowered computer compounds this.

Be sure to get the workstation class of computer. It won't have all the junk that is on a consumer product eating up your resources.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Josh,

I would guess that your speed problems are because your graphics card is having to share memory with all the other applications and eating up all your RAM causing the need to write page files. The bad thing about laptops is you can't upgrade the graphics card so you have to get the best in the beginning.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Just saw your other post Kerry....that makes sense to me now. I have two days left to exchange it for another one but still no more money to do it with! :cry:
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

They can be had right from HP, or one of there resellers. We purchased ares from a reseller here in Canada, and we are very happy with them. http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm ... html?dnr=1
John J. Desmond

Thanks guys. I will continue my search. I hope to get something soon. I will get my computer friend to help me find what I need.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

You may have to shop the Small and Medium Business stores on Dell's and HP's sites. You won't generally find workstation-class laptops or desktops in the home and home office stores.

HP Elitebook Workstation Site

Dell Precision Mobile Workstation Site
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64