Some help with crown molding on cabinets please ?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mario Kalfopoulos
Company Name: Kappa Enterprises

Some help with crown molding on cabinets please ?

Post by Mario Kalfopoulos »

Hello all, I have been trying the software for the last 3 days and I am fairly comfortable designing a kitchen cabinet layout after having built my own cabinet inventory to my specs.

The point I am now, is placing crown moldings on the top cabinets. There is no easy way that I can see to place them on all the top cabinets ?

I hope I do not have to individually select every top cabinet and add a crown to it in the edit options (which opens the editor) ? I hope this is not the case because this would be a serious flaw to this amazing software.

The point of using this software for my business is to create fast a 3d rendering of the design of the kitchen. If placing moldings takes as much time as drawing the whole room, then it would be a big waste of man hours. If I had to do this one time than maybe, but going through this lengthy process on every design ? I really hope I am mistaken on this.
I would appreciate some info on this as the software looks promising in all other aspects.

Thank you .
Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Re: Some help with crown molding on cabinets please ?

Post by Jean G Voyer »

The way I do it, I take one upper cabinet, taking off the sides, back and deck and keep only the top. I resize the cabinet to the thickness of the material for the height, the width and the depth of the uppers that need the crown. I generate the crown for that piece and place it on top of the uppers. You might have to create 2 or 3 of those, or more depending how big the project is but you can avoid doing it for every cabinet. I hope this is clear. Good luck.
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500
Mario Kalfopoulos
Company Name: Kappa Enterprises

Post by Mario Kalfopoulos »

Thanks. I guess for a long wall it works fast. Just have to deal with all the corners and angles separately.
Too bad there is this kind of limitation of automatically inserting moldings on the whole cab assembly like most other software.

Thanks for the reply.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Mario,

The method offered by Jean is used by many users of the software and is a viable option. Another method is to set up your defaults for molding when you design and save your cabinets, but don't install the molding.

Next, design your room and place your cabinets.

For a run of cabinets,
1. Edit one cabinet at the end of the run.
2. then, go to Construction Settings>Molding. Set it up to add either the left or right return molding plus the front molding. Add a scribe to the left or right so that the molding is installed across the total length of the adjacent cabinets. Moldings applied to an inside corner are not mitered and will merge together at the intersection. The cut list will be correct and the look will be correct if you don't view it from a top view.
3. Add the moldin to that cabinet and return to the room.
4. Corner cabinets and any cabinet that is not at the same level across the top would have to be edited separately to install the molding.

This method is fairly quick. Some cabinet design software packages do have an automated system of installing molding. Often these automated systems can not address installations that are not routine despite costing thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars. eCabinet Systems does allow you to address many of those situations by either letting you install your molding with the molding editor or by installing it a stick at a time (this is tedious, but can be done).

There are several methods demonstrated in our training videos. Everyone has their take on which method or methods to use.

Dennis
markvan

Post by markvan »

I just have all of my library cabinets with crown by default. That way it is installed whenever I place a cabinet, and I only have to edit a few cabinets to add the return, which isn't a big deal since I have to enter the editor anyway to apply the finished ends. I use the same crown for all presentation drawings. It gives a good representation of what the cabinets will look like, and my rendered presentations are much more impressive than the line art drawings all my competitors give. If you don't want crown, you can just click hide mouldings before rendering, all though that would also hide the light valance if you have that installed as well.
Donald L Estes
Company Name: Estes Constr + Woodwrkg

Molding Editor

Post by Donald L Estes »

In Molding Editor: I want to add cove mold to bottom of upper cabinet as a base mold, upper cabinet sits directly on top of base cabinet,( not seperated ) in molding catalog with thumbnail views of molding , cove mold sits with 3/4" wide base at bottom, 3/4" height vertically and 1/4" wide section at top, the way I would like the molding to sit on cabinet, the cove mold sits the same way after selecting molding on right side of screen, But when 'Add Base Mold' is selected on left side of screen, cove mold is placed up-side down on cabinet, with base at top and 1/4" wide section at bottom, is there a way to change this?
Donald L. Estes http://www.esteswdwrkg@cox.net
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Molding Editor

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Donald L Estes wrote:In Molding Editor: I want to add cove mold to bottom of upper cabinet as a base mold, upper cabinet sits directly on top of base cabinet,( not seperated ) in molding catalog with thumbnail views of molding , cove mold sits with 3/4" wide base at bottom, 3/4" height vertically and 1/4" wide section at top, the way I would like the molding to sit on cabinet, the cove mold sits the same way after selecting molding on right side of screen, But when 'Add Base Mold' is selected on left side of screen, cove mold is placed up-side down on cabinet, with base at top and 1/4" wide section at bottom, is there a way to change this?
Donald L. Estes http://www.esteswdwrkg@cox.net
Donald,

You can add this molding as 3 separate display moldings and rotate and move them into whatever position/orientation needed. Do this from the main area, then select the moldings tab on the item window. Hope this helps.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000