how To Scale/Move Rectangles/Circles in Part Editor?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: how To Scale/Move Rectangles/Circles in Part Editor?

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Tom,

It is fine for you to make suggestions, (A little humility might be in order) they will be placed on the wish list. If there is enough demand then they will be implemented.

I mention the other cabinet design software packages because if you had used any of those you would see that the fact you were able to cut a hole in a part in is something great. Most of those packages don't allow you to do that. You mention features that are available in any industry standard software. You are in a different industry now with different priorities. Implementing these features in the part editor would take development away from the items on the wish list that will become much more important to you as a cabinet maker than grabbing a handle to scale a circle.

Subscribe to the training videos, buy the book, learn.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I'm not entering the fray here to continue a dispute.

The Constraint Manager was developed after the Part Editor. It's intention is to let you restrict a part to it's location and size. With that ability, it is thus a parametric tool. When you are in the Part Editor, you can just sketch a rectangle or circle or 3 point arc from the first screen which has the geometric shapes. You don't have to draw it exactly in size or location. Before the Constraint Manager was developed, all entities had to be drawn exactly. Without constraining the entities, there is no logic for location. If you resize a cabinet, the holes could move or resize or as many would remember, it would just remove the pattern, so it had to be redrawn. The Constraint Manager solves that. After you've added the necessary geometry to each and every part, go into the Constraint Manager. There is a drop-down that let's you select the part you wish to work with. Then with some simple dimensioning type of tools you can restrict the geometry to a given point from a point and additionally you are able to define and parametrically change the size of the geometry. It has some math capabilities also. For example, you could dimension the center of a circle to an end point of the cabinet. Then you can edit the dimension by entering H/2 or W/2 so that the circle/hole stays centered along the specified edge.

So while there were two methods offered, the best method (IMHO) is to cut the holes and then go into the Constraint Manager. Additionally, learn the Part Editor thoroughly, there are a lot of tools for drawing more complex shapes or even importing 2d DXF files from a CAD program, where you can use some of the tools that you desire.

All-in-all, eCabinet Systems is a very flexible and capable tool at no cost for the cabinetmaker and furniture manufacturer.

Thanks,

Dennis L. Englert
Manager of Product Training
Thermwood Corporation
Tom Burns
Company Name: None

Post by Tom Burns »

Hi Dennis:

thanks very much for your input on this. I will definitely try the importing of DXF files as that seems to be the most straight-forward way to me.

I appreciate you mentioning this.

Cheers!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Tom,

Make sure you don't use splines in your .dxf drawings as they will not import into eCabinets.
Tom Burns

Post by Tom Burns »

Thanks, Kerry.

I am trying to load DXF files in the Countour Mode but things aren't working as they should.

I will probably just start a new thread since it is a different topic from the one I originally asked about.

Also, is there a wishlist thread on this forum where people can suggest features/changes to eCabinets? I did a search for "wishlist" earlier in the week and all I got were many individual threads mentioning "wishlist" but no official thread. I must have missed it if there was one.

Don't worry, I have chewed on a few cinder blocks and the medication seems to be working so any slight annoyance I expressed that you may have noticed in this thread (you'd have to look very closely to pick it up) will be absent in the new thread.

Thanks, Kerry!
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Tom: What program are you using? Can you post the file you are trying to import?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Tom,

You might try saving your .dxf as an AutoCad R12 or 13 then import it into eCabs.
Tom Burns

Post by Tom Burns »

Thanks, Scott and Kerry:

Since this is a different problem, I made a new thread (with uploaded screenshot and the DXF file in question in case that helps) here: http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... =3&t=12764

Thanks, again!
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

THM, please refund Tom's Money.......
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Tom Burns

Post by Tom Burns »

Michael S Murray wrote:THM, please refund Tom's Money.......
Damned straight. I want every one of my magic beans returned to me.

Ok. Mea culpa.

Mounting school assignments coupled with a heavy school workload/lack of sleep... I came off like a complete ass-hat with my first few post here on the forums.

I AM SORRY, THERMWOOD AND eCABINET FANS.

Thanks especially to those who offered help and explanations despite my ass-hattery.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Tom: Welcome to the world of custom cabinets and furniture Ecabinets and other cad programs are only a tool although valuable tools in this industry. I can remember setting down with my dad and drafting by hand (graft paper rulers etc.)for not just 2 or three hours but some times 2 or three days.and dreaming of a easer way to do all of this home work. All just to give the customer the best price we could give. And some times more than not that was not good enough. We either under priced and lost$$$$ or we over priced an lost the job. All that time wasted on one bid with no pay. Thanks to Ecabinets and other software today we can spend 2 to 3 hours and have a verrrrry accurate QUOAT (not just a ballpark bid)And track cost to further improve on our bids. Just think of Ecabinets as another tool in your toolbox. I am confident that the more you use it the more you will appreciate it's versatility.Alot like the air nailer. How many of us have droped what we were doing to go get a new one when the one we had broke.But Ican remeber when that was just a dream tool in our shop.
Mike Seisser
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: NCB Inc.

Post by Mike Seisser »

Michael S Murray wrote:THM, please refund Tom's Money.......
+1 :joker:
Proper Planning Prevents Poor Production.
Jim Carter
Company Name: Jim Carter Corp.

Post by Jim Carter »

Samples of some of the projects I made using only e-cabinet software.
But more times then not I find that ecabinets is not a 3d modeling.
But as a cabinet soft ware I doi not think there is any better.
Attachments
solid crown for eyebrow window
solid crown for eyebrow window
all are mdf raised panels
all are mdf raised panels
matching existing crown to make a arched crown
matching existing crown to make a arched crown
went together like a puzzle
went together like a puzzle
jim@jimcartercorp.com
973-224-0221
Ringwood, New Jersey