Control RAM

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Control RAM

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Is there any reason why I should not add some RAM to the control computer? This thing moves at a snails pace and I noticed it only has 512 MB of RAM.

I noticed that there is an update to control nesting that should fix the hangup problem I was having yesterday but even navigating through the Control Software is painfully slow.

Kerry
Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Re: Control RAM

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Kerry,

Our controller had 512 also it was painfully slow. I installed 3 gig so now we have 3.5 gig. It is a lot faster now. 3 gig might be a little overkill but it was a good price. I also swapped out the hard drive for a new one it was 4 years old so it is good insurance.

Gerry
Dennis Palmer
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dennis Palmer »

Hello Kerry,

To answer your question....no, there shouldn't be any problem or reason for you not to add more RAM to the machine control computer. Any questions can be directed to our Technical Service Dept. (800) 221 3865.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks Dennis,

I think some more RAM might help and I didn't want to void warranties or anything.

Kerry
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

Hi Kerry, You can add the ram to your control without any issues. It wont void any warranties for the machine. You can contact me in the service dept. if you need anything or have any questions. Thanks
Thermwood Technician
Carl Jones
Thermwood Team

Post by Carl Jones »

Sorry, i didnt add my contact info. 1-800-221-3865 X 250 Thanks
Thermwood Technician
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Thanks Carl,

I will get in touch if I run into any problems.
mohan kommineni
Company Name: ADP STORE FIXTURES

Post by mohan kommineni »

Carl Jones wrote:Hi Kerry, You can add the ram to your control without any issues. It wont void any warranties for the machine. You can contact me in the service dept. if you need anything or have any questions. Thanks
Hello Carl

just want to know will there be any big difference on the ballastix ram and a standard ram as we have a ballastix crucial ram PC3200 512mb (crucial.com)on the controller at this minute and would like to know whether this can be upgraded using the standard ram in the leftover three ram slots,will having one ballastix and rest all standard workstation ram is it ok or will have any issues or what, our machine is CS45

please suggest
Thanks
Mohan
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

Try not to mix RAM types and brands if you can avoid it. RAM is cheap as these days. As long as you are not going to overclock or change voltages (you aren't) then just grab some mid price RAM. I would think for the controller you are not going to see much improvent of having more than 2x1GB sticks of RAM installed. If your motherboard supports RAM of that size. You may have to get 4 x 512MB of RAM instead.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
mohan kommineni
Company Name: ADP STORE FIXTURES

Post by mohan kommineni »

jason galbraith wrote:Try not to mix RAM types and brands if you can avoid it. RAM is cheap as these days. As long as you are not going to overclock or change voltages (you aren't) then just grab some mid price RAM. I would think for the controller you are not going to see much improvent of having more than 2x1GB sticks of RAM installed. If your motherboard supports RAM of that size. You may have to get 4 x 512MB of RAM instead.
Hello all
i have just added the extra ram and it is 100% improvement on our system its lot lot hell lot faster than it was before having 3gb added it was like a snail before having the ram added now atleast like a tortise.
makes good improvement after adding ram nesting is lot better tooo insense (dosent hang & quicker tooo).
i hope we will upgrade to quardcore soon anyway and this will keep us going for that time.

Thanks
Mohan