5 piece doors, but no raised panel

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Todd Anderson

5 piece doors, but no raised panel

Post by Todd Anderson »

I'm designing a kitchen where the client wants 5 piece doors, but no raised panel in the middle, just 1/4 flat panel. Is it possible to specify sheet stock for door panels and nest them? I've tried some different things, but I can't seem to make it work. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: 5 piece doors, but no raised panel

Post by Damon Nabors »

Todd, I don't know the answer to your question but if I was in your situation I would build the cabinets and when you select your doors, click the build in house button. When you nest the cabinet, click the cut list icon, you will see the panel size. You could use those diminsions and use any material you wanted. If you are cutting the parts on a router, just filter out the raised panels at the controller and manually enter the panel size and cut them from 1/4 sheet stock.

Like I said, I don't know if there is a better way, but there is always a work around.
Damon Nabors
Gene Davis

Post by Gene Davis »

We have bought a lot of doors from the usual suspects (Con, WCI, Keystone, Scherrs, etc.) with flat center panels, but the panels are in solid wood, 7/16" thickness, with what the door folks call a REVERSE G cove cut raise on the back side. The panel raise makes the panel 1/16" shy of flush in the back, and inset 1/4" in front.

Will the Thermwood 5-PNL door routine accommodate that? CNC-cut your panels from 7/16" stock, and assemble doors with the panels reversed.
Greg McCorkill

Post by Greg McCorkill »

I created a board stock but called it 1/4 in plywood.This way you get an accuaret cut list
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

There's always a way, you just have to think outside the box. :)
Damon Nabors
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

Like this door?...it is actually a cabinet though. There are constraints on the back rabbets so you can resize the door. You will need to add these through the assembly editor, instead of the door editor.
Also, the top and bottom rail will require a flip operation. Because of such a small part, I might consider doing it on a table router....or use double face tape to hold down.
Attachments
ddoorr.JPG
ddoorr.JPG (11.56 KiB) Viewed 14750 times
framed door test.hsf
(464.02 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Grady Pinckard

Post by Grady Pinckard »

Todd,
Go to the settings and pref. area and add a board stock of your pref. I use 1/4 plywood size 48x96. Then go to the default 5 piece door settings on the front page of the settings and prefs. and enter the data that you use. Then take the cab to the door editor. Door drawer selection, Conestoga Standard, choose the tw10 door. Click build in house, set up the door profiles etc. go back to Main page and click save. The save door pop up appears enter a new directory name and a new door name if you want. Click set to default and you are done. I build my own flat panel doors all the time this way.
Hope this helps,
Grady
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Grady, thanks for the info, that works great. It would be nice if Thermwood would change it so you could choose sheet stock or board stock. Then you could see it show up in the nest.
Damon Nabors
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

I am glad to see someone else with the same question that I have had since getting my router. I use the manual panel input like Damon suggested. It works but it would be much better and simpler if Thermwood would allow the choice of sheet stock when selecting door panel material. Is this a programming nightmare? We build a lot of 5 piece doors with 1/4" plywood panels and if the program could be updated or modified to allow for this I would be one happy camper!
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Jerry...

I haven't tried this because we don't build many flat panel doors - however if you exported the cutlist from eCabinets to excel you should be able to format the panel sizes into an excel sheet that can be loaded directly into control nesting vs entering the individual panels at the controller.

Mark

BTW - Gene...I don't think anyone really answered you question about cutting the reverse g-cove on the router. Mind you I don't use Thermwood's door 5 piece door jig (we have a dedicated door machine) however we have created a variety of jigs for cutting all sorts of things. Obviously cutting the rails and stiles for that door are simply a matter of having a set of matching bits in that style - as for cutting a reverse g-cove, again provided you have the bit there's no reason it couldn't be cut.
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Mark...

I did not expalin very accurately my method. It is not exactly as Damon suggested. I print my cut list then enter each panel in a batch list that I save with the approiate job then send the whole thing to the router. This process opens the posibility of human error and that is what I want most to avoid. I will give your suggestion a try. THANKS. :idea:
Todd Anderson

Post by Todd Anderson »

Thanks for the good suggestions, eveyone. I would still like to have the ability to choose sheet stock in the door setup, and see the panels in the nest, but in the meantime I'll use some of the other methods you've suggested. Thanks again.
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

Happy new year everyone...

I hear you Jerry...we've done that on several occasions for flat panels for one reason or another...I haven't looked at the format required at the controller for adding an excel sheet, but if the exported cut list could be formatted correctly it would eliminate the human error factor.

Mark
Tom Giacchina

Post by Tom Giacchina »

The last post was in 2006 and this is still an issue? Isn't it common to use solid rails and stiles and sheet panels? Same with drawer fronts as solid with the box made from plywood.

I am in the first week of learning this software and maybe I am missing something, but this seems VERY basic. I already read about the work arounds by fooling the materials list. Any hope of getting this changed or am I really missing it.

Tom
Zach Froble

Post by Zach Froble »

Just wanted to bring this back to up on the list, as I am working on another job right now that could use this feature.

Thanks,

Zach
Lyndan Designs
Machining and CAD Services