Tooling Choices

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Chris B Campbell

Tooling Choices

Post by Chris B Campbell »

Hey All,
Not sure if this is the right forum but... I use a 3/8 Compression bit to cut 3/4 Melamines. My bits have been lasting anywhere from .75 to about 1.75 hrs. Then I get chipping edges. I have been getting bits from Arrow Tooling at 37.00 each.
I have found sharping is a waste of money for the most part the re-sharps chip right up front or at least don't last more than 1/2 hour.
So have you guys had better luck with different manufactures?
Thanks
Chris
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: Tooling Choices

Post by Will Williamson »

Sounds like you are cutting too slow and burning your bits. Try thermwood on line store Vortec
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

I've noticed a huge difference between bargain tools and higher grade/ more expensive tooling; they'll last longer and hold up to re-sharpening.
Chris B Campbell

Post by Chris B Campbell »

I run about 250fpm. What speed works best for Melamine and approx. how long are the Vortex Bits lasting??
I know when we first started we had purchased the Vortex from Thermwood but honestly that was a loooong time ago and I don't remember how long they lasted.

Chris
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

With a quality 2 flute compression you should be able to go 450-500 ipm no problem; I prefer mortise tips. With a 3 flute you can go about twice that fast. With a new bit I tend to make it through 45-60 sheets before I notice any real chipping. The material you're using could also be a factor.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Chris,
We are cutting 5/8 melamine particleboard all the time so our figures are fairly reliable, We use a Onsrud 60-126 mw at 18,000 rpm with feed at 85 feet a minute or in our settings 25to 27m a minute. I have been told by the tooling supplier a client of his runs the same bit at 31meters a minute. That would be howling. Anyway we get 30hrs out of the bit.
Hope that helps you
Regards
Neville
Neville Australia
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

If you want a bit that last get the Vortex XP series. You can buy them in bulk online at Vortex and get instant discounts. They are going to cost more (45$ to 60$) than you are paying for the Lcheapos but they will last a very long time. I use the 3/8" 2 flute comp. non mortised turning 18k rpm at 650 to 700 ipm. In 3/4" melamine I get around 150 to 200 sheets before I notice any quality decrease. I just cut up 28 sheets of door and drawer fronts out of hpl laid up 3/4" PB and I think will have enough life for another 15 or so.

Another note on this tool is send them back to Vortex to sharpen. Part of what makes the tool unique is the edge geometry.

I've also tried the MD series from Southeast Tool and didn't see the life expectancy I was hoping for.

Forrest
BenRatt

Post by BenRatt »

I second Forrest on the vortex xp. Vortex recommends 750 imp for the 3/8 and 900 for the 1/2 in melamine. Heat is the worst enemy of tool life. Refer to their chip load calculations to get the best results in other materials
Ben Ratterree
Blue Ridge Cabinetworks
Spartanburg, SC
http://www.blueridgecabs.com