Dividing a L-shaped Off-Fall

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Ayberk EKSIOGLU
Company Name: Sarp Ins.Mob.San.Ve Tic.AS

Dividing a L-shaped Off-Fall

Post by Ayberk EKSIOGLU »

I size my 280x210cm raw MDF into a 200x200cm with a Panel List.xls that gives me a L-shaped one-piece off-fall instead of two pieces of either 80x210cm and 10x200cm or 80x200cm and 10x280cm. What to do?
Thanks!
Attachments
Panel List.xls
(21 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: Dividing a L-shaped Off-Fall

Post by Daniel Odom »

I think you'll have to add one or two of those panel sizes to the list, the off-fall will not automatically spit in to 2 entities from what I've seen.
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

You know, I was thinking, what you could do is write your own parametric scrap cutting sub program and insert it at the end of every sheet. Just give yourself the option of an x and y size you want, or a skip option if you don't need it, repeat if you have more than one size you want. Seems like that should work and would give you more control over scrap squaring.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

One issue with that is the sub program would not know the location and the size of the scrap material. You would have to assume that the L shaped piece is always in the corner opposite home and then hope that it always is. You do have control over the nesting corner so it should be, but what if the operator changes the settings and you do not realize it? The second part of this issue is that then you would have to give it the dimension of the scrap which is not always known and tell it how to divide it. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it wouldn't be very easy.

The second issue is that the machine would no longer know what the size is for that scrap material. If you decided to use it in another job, you would have to manually add that sheet in the add sheet area.
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

Right, I'd use the control nesting for most off-fall cuts, but every now and then I just need to cut something up to get it out of the way and giant L shapes are really annoying to store; this is usually only an issue on grain direction specific material as you get a crappy yield no matter what you do. I do everything myself so there's no issue as far as confusion, and I'd most likely just be cutting the most usable sized square and I'd put an option to skip to the next sheet if I didn't need to run the sub. I'd always have it oriented to the pins and if it won't vacuum down I can just use a circular saw instead. I'll play with it this weekend and see what I can come up with.
Ayberk EKSIOGLU
Company Name: Sarp Ins.Mob.San.Ve Tic.AS

Post by Ayberk EKSIOGLU »

Thanks for your answers.
Daniel Vonderheide wrote:If you decided to use it in another job, you would have to manually add that sheet in the add sheet area.
It's OK that I would have to manually add that sheet in the add sheet area.
Daniel Odom wrote:You know, I was thinking, what you could do is write your own parametric scrap cutting sub program and insert it at the end of every sheet.
Writing my own parametric scrap cutting sub program is beyond my knowledge, unfortunately. Curious, is it something I should learn?
Daniel Odom wrote:I think you'll have to add one or two of those panel sizes to the list, the off-fall will not automatically spit in to 2 entities from what I've seen.
So I might have to stick with typing in some extra panel sizes for now.
Daniel Odom wrote: I'll play with it this weekend and see what I can come up with.
Please let me know of your weekend trials when you can.