Forcing bit use?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Forcing bit use?

Post by Terry Davis »

I have a project making small rectangular HDPE adapter plates that has a 5mm mounting hole in each corner. I have a V shaped bit setup as a drill in bit holder 7 to come back and countersink each 5mm hole 1/8" deep. Control nesting is seeing my countersink Drill layer and keeps interpolating the hole with a 3/16" downspiral. How do I force it to use the bit in toolholder 7. I have the countersunk hole drawn as .551 or 14mm to match the bit diameter so that it would use bit # 7 but it is not working.
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: Forcing bit use?

Post by Daniel Odom »

Can't you just turn off interpolation on that bit for that job or are you using that tool for an interpolation operation as well? Maybe you could decrease the max interpolation diameter for that job, create a new tool group and delete it later.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

I tried shutting off interpolation for all the bits and it still interpolates the hole!
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right, post the dxf if you can. I'd check the tool diameter at the machine, tool tolerance in control nesting and maybe ignore groups if you're using default tooling.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Here is the DXF, the green circles are the countersink outlines.
Attachments
Synergy plate.zip
(5.78 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

Remove the d0p551 from the drill layer name and see if that helps, I'll try and nest this tonight if not. Also check the settings in control nesting like I mentioned above. Hope that helps.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

The d0p551 was my attempt to force control nesting to use the 14mm or .551 diameter bit, but I will try removing it. The 14mm bit has a V shaped end that will work perfectly for countersinking the 5mm holes if it is used only 1/8" deep.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Terry Try putting the tool diameter in front of the z depth d0p551 z0p125 But I'm not Shure this will help though. Upon refreshing my memory from the control nesting manual it appears to me that tool diameters are only specified when using pocket, centerline and chain operations. I can not recall specifying a particular diameter tool for a drill operation on a dxf file. If your 3/16 tool is not used for other drill operations try unchecking the drill option for that cutter.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

I gave up on it and made an Aspire file to cut them which allowed me to select the bit I needed by its #, it was slower because I had to cut them one at a time but it got the job done, thank you all for your suggestions!
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Terry Davis wrote:I gave up on it and made an Aspire file to cut them which allowed me to select the bit I needed by its #, it was slower because I had to cut them one at a time but it got the job done, thank you all for your suggestions!
Terry I know this is Hine sight but could you have used the block copy tool and set the spacing's to allow for your outline tool?
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

I was able to nest this so it must have been a setting in control nesting causing the problem, for me it's usually the tool tolerance that causes the problem when this happens, but it could have been a tool group or tool data too. It would be cool if you could select a specific bit some other way than diameter though, say by putting T1, T2, T3 etc in the layer name.