Z axis will not drop

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Z axis will not drop

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Everyone,

We are trying to run a file output from V Carve Pro but the Z axis does not drop to the work surface. I have tried all the Thermwood Post Ps that Vectric has & the result is the same for all of them. I have reviewed the Code & can not see what would be causing this. I can run files I have produced with profile modeler or CN with no problems so it is not a machine issue. I have attached the file if someone could look at it & tell me if something is not right it would be appreciated.

Our machine is a 2007 CS45 running the latest updates.

Thanks,
Gerry
Attachments
TOG ATC CS 45-GU inch.zip
(36.06 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Z axis will not drop

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Gerry can you pm me the vcarve file although we do not have the full version of vcarve just the trial version we have ran some of the test files on our cs 45 and may be able to help. If I remember correctly there was some code that had to be changed I think that on line 22 of the file you posted G0 should be replaced with G51.allso graft the part before actually running it if there are any errors they usually pop up when grafting telling which line they occur on.Allso it would be greatly advised to run the program without the part on the table if this is your first try at this.
Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Post by Terry Davis »

Use the (Thermwood ATC CS45-510 inch(*.nc)) post processor...
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Terry,

I tried that one also & the result was the same (program runs with Z axis 8" off work surface)

Thanks,
Gerry
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

I don't see anything too weird, but what's g800? I don't think I've ever seen this used on my machine. Also, I see a g901 and a g52l2, maybe take out the g901; I never use fixture offsets though so I'm not sure how that's supposed to be formatted. Also, what's m999 in the code for? I don't seem to need that in my code either, but maybe I'm using older software. Maybe format the header so it looks the same as when you post with profile modeler/control nesting and/ or check the daylight on the tool you're using and make sure it's right.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

maby thi guy could help better than me http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... 998#p68692
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Daniel,

I tried dropping out the G901 & it did not help also dropped out the M999 which is a macro for machine settings as I understand it some of the settings can be changed a& some cannot. I have no Idea what G800 is. I have removed most of this code & tried running the code & always the Z axis stays at the top of it's travel.

Scott,
I will read that post & see what I can gather from it.

I have a E mail in to Vectric & I am sure will hear from them the first of the week & will post back if I get this resolved.

Thanks,
Gerry
Simon Randall
Company Name: westone-group.com

Post by Simon Randall »

Hi

I have not got a CNC so I am looking at this as a new be and outsider.

is the Z axis coming down but just not making the work piece?
if so could it be that it thinks your work piece is bigger then it is ?
could you try telling it the work piece is smaller then it is?
Thanks
Simon
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Simon,

The Z axis moves up when it gets located over the part then comes down an inch or so but is still about 8.5" off the work surface.
I may have the Z home position setting wrong in V Carve Pro but at this point I am just going to wait & see what the Vectric support group come up with.

Also I found out the G800 is an acceleration option.

Thanks,
Gerry
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

Gerry, I ran the code with the header formatted this way on my machine and it seemed to run fine other than I had to edit the T4 tool change, the tool name wasn't commented out.

(TOG ATC CS 45-GU inch)
G70
G90
M48
M00
M61L8
M00
M62L8
M60L8
G09F1
SET ZSHIFT = 2.08
SET XSHIFT = 55
SET YSHIFT = 5
G901
S15000
T5 M03
M31
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Daniel,

I formatted the code as you did & the file will now graph but when I run it the Z axis remains at the top of it's travel :fire:
If I put my G52L2 offset in I get a X axis out of bounds error on line 21 while graphing so I have some issue there also.

Thanks for you help,
Gerry
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

Hmmm, something is up with that, I'd look and make sure the daylight is correct and there is no z offset in your offset table. I always use g901/g902 because whenever I set a fixture off set that's located near where the pop up pins are I get that out of bounds error; so now I just have a shortcut to my m999 macro and add a negative offset to the g902 and use that instead. None of this should have anything to do with the z axis though, other than checking the daylight I don't know what else could be wrong, the g code should behave the same regardless of what program generated it.
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Daniel,

Both tools were measured a number of times & come up within.001 each time & no Z offset in the fixture table.
Something is strange for sure. I will try the G902 offset & see if that works better for me. I hope Vectric support can come up with a solution I am right out of ideas but as you say if the code will run on your machine it indicates a machine specific problem.

Thanks,
Gerry
Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Gary,

I attached a file that I use to set up the code for my 45. Copy the straight Gcode and paste into this. If it works I';ll send the PP.

Ray
Attachments
V-Carve starter file.txt
(909 Bytes) Downloaded 425 times
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Gerry A Brown wrote:Hi Daniel,

I formatted the code as you did & the file will now graph but when I run it the Z axis remains at the top of it's travel :fire:
If I put my G52L2 offset in I get a X axis out of bounds error on line 21 while graphing so I have some issue there also.

Thanks for you help,
Gerry
Gerry Unless the post prossers have changed since I last did a trial file I had to set the offsets to the corner of the material closest to home just like using the carving programs thermwood has. Example your 902 position is x117 y63 and your part is 10wide and 10 long then the offset would be X107 Y53 this could correct the out of bounds issue I am still stumped on the z deal.