Z axis will not drop

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Re: Z axis will not drop

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Gary,
I just ran your file with my header, So I attached the PP for you.

Change the extension to .pp before you copy to the Post Processer folder.

In Vcarve - go to material setup and tell it the 0,0 point is in the upper right corner. That will solve your positioning issue. Also tell it that your Z0 at the top of material - it's on the same screen. You'll have to reposition your vectors in the material and recalc the tool paths.

If your z still doesn't come down then I'd guess that your switchspoil is set wrong. Couple of ways this can be set, don't know which way your is set.

Only time this happens to me is if I forget to chg the switchspoil after I have my rotory on.

Hope this helps
Attachments
TW_RJ_adjfix_popup.txt
(4.04 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Ray,

I gave it a try & the result is the same Z axis at top of travel. It must be a setting on my router but I am dumbfounded why the files I run that are from profile modeler or CN run fine & these files will not :wall:

Scott ,
I have the location issue sorted out now the router goes to the proper location & runs the file but still won't drop down.

I have included the file that is not working & the profile modeler file that is working & I notice the file that will not work has this line.
G01 Z-0.5000 F30.0
While the one that does work has this line.
G01 Z0.0000 F200.0000
This is consistent through both files I wonder if it is a format issue?

Gerry
Attachments
CN file post.zip
(37.43 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Your profile modeler file and your vcarve file are using different tools. I would verify that the daylight for tool 5 is correct. The second thing I knoticed was that the material thickness is over 2 inches. I would like to verify that that is correct. There are only a few diffent values that affect the tools depth. The daylightr of the tool, The wasteboard value, if there is one, and the value in the offset table. The last one is what usually gets people. The z axis shoud be blank in the fixture offset table.
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Daniel,

The problem was between the screen & the chair :roll: I had assumed V Carve was referencing the tool location in the tool changer ( 1 to 6)
instead of the actual tool number in the super control :wall: Then I had the tool I wanted to use in the #5 tool changer location but the machine was loading tool # 5 in location #5 not tool # 109 in location #5 The same in tool changer #4 tool 4 & 5 have no daylight value as I have never used them. Once I sorted that out the file runs like it should.

My apologies for dragging you all through this.

Thanks,
Gerry
Simon Randall
Company Name: westone-group.com

Post by Simon Randall »

Good to see you got this sorted out.

can I ask one question what is the difference between 3 axis and 4 axis CNC?
Thanks
Simon
Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Gerry,

Good to see you got it worked out. I've done it before. I've got the profile modeler tools set up as 100 --- . It's always a struggle to remember to measure the correct tool, as far as the controller knows. If I don't it can be a disaster!!!!

Simon,

The 4th axis is most of the time a rotary of some sort. Normally a lathe type add on, but I've seen folks set a device like a powered lazy suzan as a 4th axis.
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi,

Simon, our router came with a rotary attachment it is a lathe that is connected to the supercontrol Thermwood calls it a playback device. We have not used it yet. We bought our machine used & it came with it. Once we get the cabinets & other flat table work running smoothly we will sit down & get the rotary running.

Thanks,
Gerry
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I would delete the M999 and the G901. Delete the G901. Replace the G52L2 with G52L1, if the material is located with the popup pins. If you are on a newer machine that should be the same location as your popup pins. G52L2 is usually used when the locating bracket is used to locate parts. So that may be the case here. The [ADJFIXOFF, 1, -55] and [ADJFIXOFF, 2, -5] are adjusting your G52 location towards home by 55 units on X and 5 units on Y (metric or imperial). The Z axis is affected by yor daylight value. and zshift. Your ZSHIFT indicates that Z0 is established 2.08 inches above the spoilboard. None of the code that you have appears to cut that deep. Actually, it looks like you're cutting 1/2" thick material.

Go to the fixture offset table and make sure that the Z axis offset is blank and not Zero or anything else.

So what to do. You ned to make sure tool # T5 is setup correctly. First, I'm assuming that if you had T1 in the head and called T5 that it is setup correctly to go pickup that tool. If not, you need to make sure that Actuator is number 1, Actuator position is 1, if you only have a single tool changer, that would be 1 and what position is this tool in that tool changer. If this is a typewriter style, then it is probably positon #5. After you've confirmed that, then you need to find the daylight value for the tool. That is typically accomplished with the tool sensor, but if that isn't setup correctly then you'll get the wrong value. So does T5 have a daylight value? If you not, you need to find it.

The G800 series of codes affects the accelerations of the drives. G800 has not effect, but G805 would for example accelerate at half the speed. Particularly useful on carvings when the head is going from one end of the cut and then switching directions.

I don't see M5 or M05 in your ending sequence. This code turns off the router, which should be turned off after each interval.

So the main problem should be the tool setup. Check into that. If you continue to have a problem, give our Programming Support guys a call.

Dennis
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Dennis,

I think we have it all sorted out now.

Thanks,
Gerry
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Good. Please post your findings so that others can benefit.

Dennis
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Dennis you are the man, why don't you get on here more often? Here I thought you were just the instructor, Looks like I need to come back and take your class
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I chip in when I can, but there really is no need to get on more often. There is a lot of talent and experience amongst the users on the forum and the questions get answered pretty quickly.

My instructor duties are pretty limited. We have an instructor for the machine classes and the software classes. I spend most of my time answering some eCab's questions at the Support Desk, working on training books, other help documents and talking to my computer while I'm creating the videos. So I'm falling to sleep long before our subscribers. My classroom time is primarily teaching eCabinets, but I've basically replaced myself with the online video training program. As for as machine programming skills, my skills are a bit rusty with all the latest and greatest control system updates, but the basics of what to look for are the same and code is code.

Have a great day!

Dennis
Gerry A Brown

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Dennis Englert wrote:Good. Please post your findings so that others can benefit.

Dennis
Hi Dennis,

About 6 posts up from yours I did post what the problem was.

"The problem was between the screen & the chair :roll: I had assumed V Carve was referencing the tool location in the tool changer ( 1 to 6)
instead of the actual tool number in the super control :wall: Then I had the tool I wanted to use in the #5 tool changer location but the machine was loading tool # 5 in location #5 not tool # 109 in location #5 The same in tool changer #4 tool 4 & 5 have no daylight value as I have never used them. Once I sorted that out the file runs like it should.:

Once I was able to run the file I noticed there was no M05 to turn off the router so I changed that also. As you said it was the tool setup.

Thanks,
Gerry
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Ok I am glad Gerry Got his problem sorted out but here is yet another one. I grafted his file and got an error on line 24 in I change that from g00 to g51 then I get the same error online 3788 I change that from g00 to g51 every thing grafts fine except for line 2786 witch I delete after that every thing grafts good hit the start button and the controller stops at M61L8 on the header. That being said what is M61L8? also I have ran the trial files in the past although not with this PP. but have always had to replace the G00 code described above with G51.Why is this the case?
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

For me m61l8 is the pins, or at least to the best of my memory; if it's not the pins it's some other output. My machine manual says g51 "redefines part zero relative to the machine home".