Batch Input Using Excel Speadsheet

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Brenda Hallman
Company Name: Northlander Industries

Batch Input Using Excel Speadsheet

Post by Brenda Hallman »

Hello, I am just wondering if anyone is using the button at the top of the Batch Cabinets page that says "Import Batch from Excel". I searched and found the sheet that says "Adding Cabinets to Batch Input Using an Excel Speadsheet". I followed the directions and still had a stumbling block. I then searched the forum and found that I had to add a column after the Depth Column called Rename. That seemed to get me a bit further and now I am getting an error "Error loading row 0". I am just wondering what this feature is all about and if it will speed up my productivity? I use the Exel spreadsheets for loading .DXF files on the supercontrol and it works excellent. SO, I would only assume that it would be helpful in this situation. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. CHEERS!
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Re: Batch Input Using Excel Speadsheet

Post by Rick Deskins »

excel.jpg
A properly formatted Excel spreadsheet can be used to input cabinets and/or assemblies to the Batch. In the Excel file, provide the file name of the Cabinet or Assembly, the directory where the file is stored, the type ("cabinet" or "assembly"), the quantity of the cabinet or assembly you want and the height, width, & depth if you are loading a cabinet.

Note 1: Line #5 for an assembly. Height, width and depth values are ignored for assemblies, thus are not required. This item and the item on Line #7 demonstrate renaming a product. The new product name is displayed as such in the batch.

Note 2: Line #6 for Catalog Cabinets. Must have the copy write symbol included in the name.
Note 3: Line #7. Displays a path for a cabinet in a sub-folder. By default, the root of the User Data Path is the
folder assigned in Settings and Preferences plus the sub-folder Cabinets or Assembly.

The first row of the spreadsheet must contain column headings that identify the content of the information contained in the column. The file should be saved in .xls format.

The required column headings and format for the data is as follows:

Name - This is the file name of the cabinet or assembly.
Directory - This is the directory where the file is stored.
Type - Use either the word “cabinet” or “assembly”.
Quantity - This is the quantity of the cabinet or assembly desired.
Height - This is the height of the cabinet (does not apply to assemblies).
Width - This is the width of the cabinet (does not apply to assemblies).
Depth - This is the depth of the cabinet (does not apply to assemblies).
New Name - This is an optional field for a new description of the cabinet
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Brenda Hallman

Post by Brenda Hallman »

Thanks for the reply Rick.
I tried again to set-up the speadsheet as you posted. I am still getting the "Error loading row 0". Below is the complete file path and name for a cabinet that I am tring to load.
W:\CNC Cabinets\cabinets\32mm Cabinets-old\Z Prototype\Escape Test\Kitchen Cabinets\BASE CABINETS\B3 13-00-00 1F.hsf
I divided up this name into two parts. Here is how I have things listed in the spreadsheet.
Name column = B3 13-00-00 1F.hsf
Directory = W:\CNC Cabinets\cabinets\32mm Cabinets-old\Z Prototype\Escape Test\Kitchen Cabinets\BASE CABINETS
Type = cabinet
Height = 882
Width = 343
Depth = 604
New Name = {blank}

I have tried taking the name and removing the file extension .hsf (no luck)
I am wondering is there a problem because the file path is located on a server and not on the C:\drive?
Is the directory file path too long?
Is there a problem because the sizes are listed in metric?

Thanks again for any help you can provide.
Brenda
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Brenda,

Try leaving the full path off. Also, you must have your cabinets and assemblies located in the {User Data Path} set in the setting/preferences dialog.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Brenda Hallman

Post by Brenda Hallman »

Hi Scott,

My User Data Path is set @ W:\cnc cabinets in the setting section. Therefore I tried your advice and deleted the full path name...no success. Then I made a file folder in [cnc cabinets] file that contained the cabinet file. I thought maybe it goes to W:\cnc cabinets and searches for the file from there...so I thought I would make it easier for it. That did not have success either. It keeps saying that there is an error reading line 0. I just tried to eliminate the column headers that say: Name/Directory/Type...when I tried to load the file it crashed e-cabinets. I just don't understand what it is tring to read on line 0? I mean the spreadsheet starts on line 1 and column A...as far as I know there is no line 0.

Just wondering is someone has another example of a spreadsheet?
Also, wondering...would it make a difference if I am using Excel 2007? I do revert the files to save as .xls however, is there a compatiblity issue because it was created in 2007 and then saved bacwards to an older version?

Thanks again for any help anyone can provide.

Brenda
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Brenda Hallman wrote:Name column = B3 13-00-00 1F.hsf
Directory = W:\CNC Cabinets\cabinets\32mm Cabinets-old\Z Prototype\Escape Test\Kitchen Cabinets\BASE CABINETS
Type = cabinet
Height = 882
Width = 343
Depth = 604
New Name = {blank}
Try:

Name= B3 13-00-00 1F
Directory = 32mm Cabinets-old\Z Prototype\Escape Test\Kitchen Cabinets\BASE CABINETS
Type = Cabinet
Quantity=1
Height = 882mm
Width = 343mm
Depth = 604mm
New Name = {blank}
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Brenda Hallman

Post by Brenda Hallman »

Thanks Rick

That worked excellent :D

Looking forward to using this new feature to speed up productivity...Now what shall I do with all my free time :beer:

Thanks again