How Thick is to Thick?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

How Thick is to Thick?

Post by Thom Davies »

Hello!
2 Things:

How thick is your waste board?

AND

Just wondering if any1 can offer some advise. I used 25mm for my Waste board and now its down to 23mm, Thinking it'll last longer than if i used an 18mm Waste board and machined down to 16mm.

My question is: Will i loose much vacuum using a 23mm waste board than if i was using 16mm waste board, Or does thickness not matter when it comes to waste board?

Cheers

Thom Davies
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: How Thick is to Thick?

Post by Daniel Odom »

I use a 12.7mm waste board on top of a 18mm spoil-board and use it until it's about 1/8 thick (3mm), 12mm is about as thick as I can get and still use the pop-up pins. I'd say as long as the parts aren't moving more than usual then you're good, you can always mill it down more if you need too.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

For demos and other machining around here, we use a 1/4" thick wasteboard for all of our projects. That works well. If anything, it would seem like you would be losing vacuum with a 1/2" (12.7mm) thick wasteboard, but as you machined it the vacuum would improve.

Dennis
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Sorry I mean a 23mm Spoil Board. I call it different things. lol Like the 6mm waste board Dennis calls it, we call it a sacro.
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

16mm MDF spoil board and 3mm sacrificial sheets - we buy packs of these at a time and just flip them over once and then get rid of them. We build the price of the scarificial sheets into the jobs we do. Fly cutting thicker boards was just not time efficient.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au