AutoCad Layer Name

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Ayberk EKSIOGLU
Company Name: Sarp Ins.Mob.San.Ve Tic.AS

AutoCad Layer Name

Post by Ayberk EKSIOGLU »

Say, I've max penetration set at 9mm and want to cut a centerline of 18mm.

When I put in the layer name centerline z18 d12, the tool makes a cut of 9mm depth (from left to right), retracts, returns to initial point without cutting and then repeats the same cut.

Instead of it returning to initial point without cutting, is there any way via AutoCad drawing or Control Nesting Settings, that I can make the tool perform the second cut (from right to left) without it returning to initial point?
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: AutoCad Layer Name

Post by Scott Marshburn »

I have not tried this but it might be possible to make one layer starting from the left 9mm deep and a second layer starting at the right 18 mm deep just a thought. You would have to set the max plunge for that tool to 18mm though. And this could cause problems for other operations for the same tool.
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

DXF importing is great for simple parts as long as you don't care too much about the optimization of tool paths. If you want to cut in a specific way then it's probably better to use a full fledged cam program; if you have enough free time you could probably find a way to do it using start layers. I've done something similar with miter folds, but we're talking about one or two tool paths. I would probably just not worry about the couple of added seconds if it doesn't affect the cut quality.
Ayberk EKSIOGLU
Company Name: Sarp Ins.Mob.San.Ve Tic.AS

Post by Ayberk EKSIOGLU »

Scott Marshburn wrote:I have not tried this but it might be possible to make one layer starting from the left 9mm deep and a second layer starting at the right 18 mm deep just a thought. You would have to set the max plunge for that tool to 18mm though. And this could cause problems for other operations for the same tool.
Scott, is it really possible to put two layers of centerline on top of each other?
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Ayberk EKSIOGLU wrote:Scott, is it really possible to put two layers of centerline on top of each other?
Like I said in my post I have not tried it.