Sanding Equipment for doors

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Sanding Equipment for doors

Post by Scott Marshburn »

We are looking for a machine to reduce labor time sanding our mdf doors. We are looking at the supermax brush sanders. Is anyone using this type of machine if so how do you like it?
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Re: Sanding Equipment for doors

Ok I guess that there is no one using an automated sanding devise similar to what I am describing so I guess that every one is hand sanding all of there mdf doors?
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Sorry Scott didn't see this till now. We have been machining mdf for 10 years now and although I have looked at just about every sander out there I haven't found any that meet my expectations in relation to the cost. You can spend close to $100k and get a door with very little hand work but how many doors do you make? Not just the upfront cost but $3k to $4k for every sanding head change (for the larger multi-head machines).

We can sand the average door in 1 minute. I would say we average about 25 per hour per person. If we have a lot to sand we break it up into task where one person bumps off the sharp edges and the next person sands the profiles and the next blows off the dust and wraps in bundles. This way we get closer to 40 per person per hour. You cant work at that pace all day, but unless you have multiple routers you can never outpace a few good sanders. Many times my router operator will sand the doors coming off the router while the next sheet is cutting.

Maybe this is of some help, Forrest
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Thanks forest for the reply. We have a 2 man shop as for now and was lookin at our options as it is, in our area good labor is hard to find and keep at a sanders salery.And if the orders drop off then they have no work then they find something else then when orders pick up we have to find someone else train and the cycle starts all over. Also we do a lot of finishing. Sanding the first coat of primer to level out the pits is a lot more time than just sanding to go out the door. The sander we are looking at is the super brush from supermax tools and cost around $8,000 USD plus extras.
http://www.supermaxtools.com/products-s ... -36-49.php
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Forrest I forgot to mention that our gole is to produce 100 doors per day.