Feature Requests

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Feature Requests

Post by Kerry Fullington »

There hasn't been one of these threads in a while but the need for additional features in eCabinets is still here.

We really need the ability to lock opening sizes in cabinets.

We need the ability to globally change edge banding at the job level, (much like the change sheet stock feature) so out labels and thicknesses can be correct without the need to edit each cabinet in a job.

We need a "Drawer Stretcher" feature in frameless so that we don't have to use a fixed shelf with a back inset. This causes problems when a cabinet is resized in depth on the fly.

We need the frameless corner cabinet ends to not automatically add for a miter on the front edge. No one miters a frameless corner cabinet and this causes a great deal of grief.

We could still use auto-dimensioning in the LDE as well as the LDE dynamically updating with the current Custom Layout Drawing and an easy way to get section views of individual cabinets for the shop floor.

It would be nice if the drawer slide hardware was associated to the drawer type instead of the drawer front so that when we change drawer boxes either at the cabinet or job level the width of that box would increase or decrease according to the slide specifications. When a customer decides to go from soft close undermount slides (1/4" clearance) to full extension side mount slides (1/2" clearance ) it is a major ordeal to do at the job level. This happens a lot.

In control nesting I would like to be able to customize labels such a being able to change text color to highlight things such as the job name and banding to make them easier to read on the shop floor.

That is my short list.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Feature Requests

Post by Scott Marshburn »

I have one for control nesting .That would be to have ability to estimate cut times for nested parts based on feed speeds plunge rates and rapid moves. This feature would have been nice to have had this past week as we had a job that required a hourly rate. Lucky for us our educated guess was close enough to when the job. but it could have easily gone the other way.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Yes, yes, yes.. we have asked for quite a while for many of these features. In version 4 beta I suggested changing the drawer parameters with hardware at room or batch level. I was also disappointed that the lock dimension did not mean lock opening dimensions . The hardware whole to back off cabinet would also be a nice feature they will have to allow for a second axis . being able to rotate an object axis origin would also help greatly when profile modeling . Forrest
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

And by the way lets not forget the ability to apply more than 2 regions for custom cutters for mdf doors. We need something more than a inside region and an outside region.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

It would also be nice if the Part Editor would work properly so we could get benefit from the Profile Modeler.
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Probably a loaded question but what is not working for you in part editor for profiling? Forrest
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Forrest,

I have been getting the "Can't Perform Sweep Operation" quite a bit.

Do a search for Sweep Operations and you will get some of the complaint threads from the past.
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Scott

There is a program that reads the CNC code and tells you how long it will take to cut. its called Cut time from www.cncautomation.com/en/software, Its fantasic!

Cheers

Thom
Jon Dieterlen

Post by Jon Dieterlen »

I would also like to be able to lock opening heights of drawers. It is crazy that this cannot be done. Also anything that requires repetitious actions such as matching texture of mouldings on each cabinet in a room. Also adding moulding for presentations. When you change the height of a cabinet with bottom moulding, the moulding does not remain in the correct position from the bottom of the cabinet. Automatically pulling pre-specified dimensions in the LDE.

In my business shop drawings must be made, which requires a few hours of very repetitious dimensioning.

Just some food for thought,

Jon
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

I have another one for control nesting It would be nice to specify a final cut depth for a tool in a dxf file for example you specify tool abc as a center line cut to have a max plunge at 3/8 " and a final cut depth of 1/32" then the controller would calculate the steps necessary to perform the passes needed. Though I would not know how to name such a layer. Any thoughts?
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

Totally agree Kerry and Jon, auto dimensioning in LDE also the ability to scale drawings i.e. 1:20 1:50 etc.
Steve Detina
Company Name: Silhouette Custom Cabinets

Post by Steve Detina »

All of these suggested features are great. What we all have to remember is that eCab is free and it costs money to add these features. Also from what I understand there are only so many developers available at thermwood to work on eCab. I for one would like to have the line drawing editor redone so that we could produce good shop drawings quickly and efficiently. I would be willing to pay for a add on module to eCab to get this done. This would save me time and effort and pay for itself.

It could be done something like this:

A list of enhancements that users would like. Outline what each enhancement would do exactly. Put a cost to that enhancement. Since when you purchase a thermwood you are actually subsidizing the cost of the software some what those user who have a machine will get a discount on the enhance module. Those who don't have a machine pay a little more. Those who don't want to pay anything will have to wait till thermwood decides to provide that enhancement to them for free.

just putting it out there.
Daren LaBranche
Company Name: Drawn to Wood

Post by Daren LaBranche »

As a new user, here are some requests (not sure if they're features or repairs though).

1) The ability for users to separate all user-modified data from system data. See my exploration into this here: http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... 348#p69348

2) Allow users to modify image files & folders in the 'Materials' folder to better suit their needs & remove clutter without breaking the functionality of system configured things (ie: Conestoga doors). Again, see the link above for more details.

3) Allow users to better manage the materials library (ie: sheet stock, banding, etc...) without breaking things.
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

2) Allow users to modify image files & folders in the 'Materials' folder to better suit their needs & remove clutter without breaking the functionality of system configured things (ie: Conestoga doors). Again, see the link above for more details.
Conestoga doors do not use images in the materials folder. They use images from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\Doors\Conestoga\FINISHES.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Daren LaBranche
Company Name: Drawn to Wood

Post by Daren LaBranche »

Conestoga doors do not use images in the materials folder. They use images from C:\Users\Public\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\Doors\Conestoga\FINISHES.
That's odd Rick. I never touched the items in the folder you mention, yet the door kept coming up with the yellow "image not found" pic after I changed the folders in C:\ProgramData\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\materials. The problem was fixed when I reverted back to the original contents.