Feature Requests

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Re: Feature Requests

Post by Rick Deskins »

I stand corrected. I forgot that when we went to using the localstore.mdb, we started using the images in the materials folder for the conestoga doors and drawers.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Daren,

The Conestoga doors use the image from the location Rick mentioned, The thumbnails in the Door Drawer Front Editor use images from the materials library.
Daren LaBranche
Company Name: Drawn to Wood

Post by Daren LaBranche »

Conestoga Door Images
Thanks for helping to clarify Kerry & Rick. However, when I changed the materials folder it affected BOTH the thumbnails in the Door Drawer Front Editor & the door on my cab in the Cabinet Editor. How do I change the image associated with a Conestoga door if I would like to save my own version of that door?

Material Library Management
I've been thinking about this & I'd like to expand on my earlier request "3) Allow users to better manage the materials library (ie: sheet stock, banding, etc...) without breaking things." It would be extremely helpful to be able to change the description of a material in the Material Editor without creating a new material & disassociating it from all the products that use it. In other words, use a system-generated hidden link between a material & the products that it's used in & allow users to change/update descriptions as required. Then each product that used that material would simply 'inherit' the updated material name.

Edgebanding Swapout For Project
It would be extremely helpful to be able to swapout edgebanding materials in a project like we can for sheet goods. See my inquiry into this here: http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... =3&t=13131
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I would also like to be able to add edgebanding to an applied Cabinet End. It would be nice to be able to add User Part information to the Applied Cabinet Ends as well.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Kerry Fullington wrote:I would also like to be able to add edgebanding to an applied Cabinet End. It would be nice to be able to add User Part information to the Applied Cabinet Ends as well.
Kerry,

You can add an applied end made from a slab door and then it will have edge banding on it.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Daren LaBranche

Applied Finished Ends
I too will be using applied panels to finish my cabinet ends, but I haven't gotten there yet. Could you please explain how best to do this? If I use a slab door as suggested by Scott, I assume I would pick a door & position it next to my cabinet in Custom Layout? How do you define how many edges are edgebanded? I guess it can be renamed as a finished end panel, but it will still show up as a door in the cutlist right?
Daren LaBranche

Feature Requests Clarification
As a newbie, please forgive me if I don't understand exactly how these are being handled in this forum, but I find it difficult to find/identify which feature requests have been made, which are being considered/rejected & which are being implemented in the next release.

One of the reasons I find it difficult to find these requests is because there are several threads named 'Feature Requests' which can include several pages of posts, some of which are discussions/explanations about how to have/do said "feature request" in the current version - thus possibly eliminating it from the 'feature request list'. I've seen this happen with one of my own requests.

I know that it takes time for people to manage this forum, & I appreciate being able to participate in it. One of my wishes however, would be to see this topic structured in a way that would allow users to review a summary description & status of all previous requests in one location. Like a MASTER REQUEST LIST which is pinned at the top of the forum & maintained solely by the forum admin. There would still be threads about specific requests & desired features where we could all participate in discussions about their validity as actual feature requests rather than misunderstandings of how the software works or even workarounds. If these individual threads result in a valid feature request then the forum admin would add them to the MASTER list along with a link to the actual discussion thread (for future users to review & better understand). I think this would not only reduce the time/confusion with finding/reposting similar requests, but it would also the stress involved with resolving problems. It could even help newbies like me to learn the software faster!

Here's an example of what I envision:

MASTER FEATURE REQUEST LIST
1) Allow swapping out edgebanding at the project level.
LAST UPDATED: Sept. 28, 2012
DISCUSSION(S): http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... 354#p69354

2) Add a "Buy Beer" button to the Custom Layout menu so that....
LAST UPDATED: July 9, 2012
DISCUSSION(S): http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13123000

Does this make sense to anyone? If this is something that is considered valuable I'd be willing to help wherever possible.

Thanks
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Daren LaBranche wrote:Feature Requests Clarification
As a newbie, please forgive me if I don't understand exactly how these are being handled in this forum, but I find it difficult to find/identify which feature requests have been made, which are being considered/rejected & which are being implemented in the next release.

One of the reasons I find it difficult to find these requests is because there are several threads named 'Feature Requests' which can include several pages of posts, some of which are discussions/explanations about how to have/do said "feature request" in the current version - thus possibly eliminating it from the 'feature request list'. I've seen this happen with one of my own requests.

I know that it takes time for people to manage this forum, & I appreciate being able to participate in it. One of my wishes however, would be to see this topic structured in a way that would allow users to review a summary description & status of all previous requests in one location. Like a MASTER REQUEST LIST which is pinned at the top of the forum & maintained solely by the forum admin. There would still be threads about specific requests & desired features where we could all participate in discussions about their validity as actual feature requests rather than misunderstandings of how the software works or even workarounds. If these individual threads result in a valid feature request then the forum admin would add them to the MASTER list along with a link to the actual discussion thread (for future users to review & better understand). I think this would not only reduce the time/confusion with finding/reposting similar requests, but it would also the stress involved with resolving problems. It could even help newbies like me to learn the software faster!

Here's an example of what I envision:

MASTER FEATURE REQUEST LIST
1) Allow swapping out edgebanding at the project level.
LAST UPDATED: Sept. 28, 2012
DISCUSSION(S): http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... 354#p69354

2) Add a "Buy Beer" button to the Custom Layout menu so that....
LAST UPDATED: July 9, 2012
DISCUSSION(S): http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13123000

Does this make sense to anyone? If this is something that is considered valuable I'd be willing to help wherever possible.

Thanks
I totaly agree
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

ecabs2.jpg
I would find this feature or variations on this feature very useful.
The way I see it working is when the button is selected, when you highlight a cabinet, (or could I slip in the word,cabinets ) you could straight away type in the size, without the need to click in the box,and it would affect those units.
A bit of a multi function button.
Anyone else think this would be worthwhile?
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Clean up the GUI.
Don't add anything until the user interface gets cleaned up. Hopefully by a good graphic designer. Try using good graphic layout using visual feedback for the user inputs. I would trade a clean, visually helpful GUI for any new feature at this point.

Bottom tenon inset:
Top tenon inset:
Left tenon inset:
Right tenon inset:

or.....

Top tenon inset:

Left tenon inset: Right tenon inset:

Bottom tenon inset:

Which input layout would you prefer at 10:30 p.m.?
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

O.K., my alternate example should be laid out like a cross but is instead justified left. I hope you get what I'm suggesting.
Brenda Hallman
Company Name: Northlander Industries

Post by Brenda Hallman »

Hi all,

I have a hard time with designing corner cabinets. Definately, I am for the dropping the mitred corners on the side panels of the cabinets. Seriously, I have produced enough scrap because of that feature alone. Also is there a way to do something about the adjustable shelf hole positions. We use the adjustable hole feature to create a line bore for drawer/ door hardware. YEAH, YEAH it may seem not right for your company....but for our company it works. Anyways, if I want to have the second hole on a cabinet end be 250mm from the front hole which is 37mm from the front then I have to do the math to get the proper position. Which is fine...I have a calculator. However, when I get to the corner cabinet it is difficult to have the holes positioned properly by just locating from the front and back of the shelf.

These are just suggestions and I really think this is a great program to use...Keep up the great work guys :D

Thanks
Brenda Hallman
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey Brenda, could you create the hole pattern in a standard cabinet, then take the gable to Countour and save the hole pattern as a Parasoild file. That way you could apply to a gable without holes. The problem that I see with this is will the router recognize them as holes and drill them, or try to rout them. Maybe someone else could chime in.
Attachments
Gable Holes.zip
(8.74 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
Test Holes.hsf
(264.02 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Test Holes.jpg
Test Holes.jpg (14.88 KiB) Viewed 13056 times
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Brenda, while it's probably not exactly what you want, Rick was heading you down the right alternative road.

There are several ways to create a pattern. One is by installing a shelf as you are doing now and positioning everything where you want it. After that you can take each of the parts, i.e., left end, right end and the back panels into the Part Editor, then Contour Mode. There you can save each of the patterns to a library. After that you can reuse the pattern by taking the parts on the new cabinet back into the Part Editor and Contour Mode again, then cutting the holes.

You can also create the pattern directly on the parts in the Part Editor by drawing the hole pattern and pocketing the holes.

Hole patterns can also be created in the Shape Manager, saved and applied in the Part Editor in Contour Mode.

When you apply a hole pattern in the Part Editor, you may want to follow that up with the Constraint Manager to restrict the movement of the holes when you resize a cabinet. I would guess that a corner cabinet does not usually get resized, so I would probably opt out of going to the Constraint Manager. It may actually be faster and easier to create a new cabinet, apply the hole pattern and move the holes accordingly, if needed for the resized cabinet.

Not as easy as just installing a shelf with holes, but not terribly difficult either. Just a lot of steps and after the first one's it goes pretty quickly.

Dennis
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Rick Palechuk wrote:...will the router recognize them as holes and drill them, or try to rout them. Maybe someone else could chime in.
They will indeed be recognized as holes and Control Nesting will do the same thing it would do for regular shelf holes. (drill or interpolate if it can, or pocket if no drill/interpolate tool is available. )
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000