New feature CN 5.73

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

New feature CN 5.73

Post by Georgi Baltov »

There are a couple of things I don't really understand but which I can really use. My questions relate to being able to load and save tooling info as I have three different material types that I use different settings on tools.

Let's say 95% of all cutting on the machine uses the same set up in tooling. Then sometimes I cut solid dovetail drawer boxes for which I use modify penetration, feed speed etc. Then I have thick materials - 1-1/2" MDF for which I have to modify the penetration on some tools.

I am not sure how the group settings in tooling work. I have created my default, solid wood and thick MDF groups but I am not sure if they are loaded if I select them. Say I load "Group 1"(solid wood) and click OK. Does this make it the current tool group that is going to be used when I nest. I have this question because when I go back to tooling "Default" is selected.

"Option in File menu to Save or Load settings and tool information in a single file" - not understanding this one comes from not understanding the tooling groups and how they are loaded. I can keep modifying the default tool group 3 times and save the information with three different names for each material option that I use but I am sure there's an easier way which I am missing.

Some explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: New feature CN 5.73

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Hi Georgi,
The tooling "groups" are triggered by the material only.
For example, if you load a job that has parts on ".75 generic" and you have a tool group with that material in it, then that tool group will be used only for that material.
Thus you could have a single job with multiple materials in it, and each material would trigger it's own tooling setup to be used within the single job.
I've never been a fan of this method only because if a tooling group has been triggered within a job, there is no indication that it has been triggered when writing cnc. You won't know what tools are being called and when because it does not tell you, it assumes that you remember how you set up your tool groups. This can be dangerous. It also does not affect the settings screen.

The saved settings file, or *.cst file is different - this contains all tooling information as well as all the information on the settings page. This is useful if you have something to cut which requires different tooling and settings. Load the .cst file and your tooling screen and settings screen will be populated. I find this the best method because there is no guesswork or wondering about what's going to happen when writing cnc. Much more predictable.

Let me know if I can help with any further explanation.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

That was fast Josh. Thanks for the reply - very clear and helpful. I agree with you. I will be working with the save/load option from file menu. I will create 3 settings and tool groups.

Cheers
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

No probs - I used to use the THM sync utility to do this, which was not it's intended purpose, but it worked great. I had written a batch file to copy my recut history before each sync and it was really groovy but it scared Scott every time I told him about it, so he must have figured that they oughtta add this new .cst file in to protect me from myself :joker: :joker:
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

We all have our manufacturer unapproved techniques, just to get the job done. I don't think I've ever said I can't do anything on our 4 axis machine. It's about time to take the trip to a 5 axis territory.

We should start a topic on "What's the weirdest or hardest thing you've managed to machine on a 3/4/5 axis Thermwood?" and post picture or two of it.

Probably in the "Customer Images" section
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Haha, that could get really interesting in a hurry! :D
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400