Some suggestions for future updates

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Some suggestions for future updates

Post by Jason Gooch »

Hi Gentlepeoples from Thermwood - in the continuing quest for perfection, maybe you could add these to your list...?

1) Door/drawer selection - in cabinet editor, when changing door/drawer material and style, it would be nice if you could add a button for "same as drawer" or "same as door". It's a pain to have to choose all the options, then hit "set default", then click BACK IN to door/drawer selection and do the whole thing again.
2) Door/drawer construction settings - setting the angle for the drawer fronts and doors is weird to me, if you set it one way the doors are vertical and drawers horizontal. Would be nice to have a selection (in addition to angle) that gives the option of "vertical" or "horizontal", for EVERYTHING. I almost never have a situation where doors are one way and drawers are another.
3) Change materials - don't know if it's feasible to add the ability to change material for display panels. I often have a display panel in custom layout for toe kicks or a frig panel, there's no way to just change the material, I have to delete and regenerate them.
4) Shelf pin holes - would be nice to have an option to add pin holes independent of shelves. Not a big deal, but everytime I want a run of pins I need to place a shelf made of DO NOT NEST material, it would be great if there was a shelf pin dialog that I could set for my seed cabs that wouldn't change if I alter dimensions (ie: 35mm from deck, 32mm centers, etc etc). Not a big deal, but would be nice.

Ok, thanks!
Applebox Cabinetry and Furniture
www.appleboxwood.com
Wayne Adelkopf
Company Name: Noble Woodworks Inc.

Re: Some suggestions for future updates

Post by Wayne Adelkopf »

3)
Create a cabinet with only the back. Have the back flush with all sides. Save it as "AAA_Display panel" so it is easy to find in your library.

IE. a 20"x20" cabinet would leave you with just the back at 20"x20". You can change the size after you load it. This will allow you to choose this "Cabinet" from your library and then you can change the material. What I like most is the ability to apply constraints which cannot be done with display panels.
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Dang, here I am a "Guru member" getting schooled by a lowly "Junior"! Thanks Wayne, good idea!
www.appleboxwood.com
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Jason, as Wayne has mentioned you can use a back for panels that go in the room flat against the wall but for end panels you can do the same with a left or right end. That way when you place it will snap to the wall or to a cabinet. Forrest
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Jason,

You may also want to take a look at this response by Rick Palechuk » Wed, Nov 07 2012, 1:49AM about how to do toe kicks using a cabinet.

http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... ick#p69702
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Thanks Scott, I already tracked that one down and am incorporating it. I just have to explain to my employees why cabinet #27 is only one piece of plywood!
www.appleboxwood.com
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Jason Gooch wrote:Thanks Scott, I already tracked that one down and am incorporating it. I just have to explain to my employees why cabinet #27 is only one piece of plywood!
I see. Would naming this special purpose cabinet something very specific like maybe { All Purpose Toe Kick } help? You can also give the part itself a specific user part name like { Multi Toe Kick } or { Spanning Toe Kick } or { Kicking the Dog } (I like the last one :D ).

Also, with the new cabinet dimension locks for W,H,D, you can limit the width to prevent you from making one that would go beyond your material length capability.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Jason Gooch
Guru Member

Post by Jason Gooch »

Thanks Scott, yeah I'll probably do something like "kickthecan". And I appreciate the dimension lock suggestion, I've not used that yet and will check it out.

You might be able to sense that I use eCabs intermittently - I'm a small shop, and I mix up cabinetry with furniture and other oddball things, so I'm not always focused on eCabs. Which is why I sometimes have to relearn the "duh" things. You guys are a great help, many thanks!

Cheers - Jason
www.appleboxwood.com