3d machining

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Alex Bowler
Company Name: cutshop

3d machining

Postby Alex Bowler » Sun, Oct 14 2012, 10:31PM

Hi,

I have an opportunity to do some work for a display company machining panels with a 3d pattern in it. There are only a couple of variations and the customer
already has the file drawn up (I think its in autocad), looks like waves cut out of MDF.

I can see a couple of options, would love to know what peoples suggestions would be.

Buy the software, what is there with a post for Thermwood that can machine a 3D patterns? how much?

Can anyone just create the g code for me? for what price?

Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: 3d machining

Postby Daniel Odom » Wed, Oct 17 2012, 11:43AM

I guess it depends on how much money is in the project, I believe Thermwood can do this type of programming for a fee? http://www.thermwood.com/custom_cnc_programming.htm They also sell Mastercam and Artcam w/ post that will get you up and running quickly; there are, of course, other options out there if you're on a really tight budget. Maybe check out cnczone rfq as well.

Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Re: 3d machining

Postby Georgi Baltov » Tue, Nov 20 2012, 2:16PM

Artcam is also a good option and a company that Thermwood works with. It really depends which way you want to go - the more artsy type of 3d machining or the more engineer oriented type. At one point I was interested in Artcam I believe the whole package was about 10K which I though was extremely decent. Best thing is to talk to your Thermwood sales rep and see what they can do for you.

Return to “Lounge”