Can someone try to model this please.

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Can someone try to model this please.

Post by Forrest Chapman »

My control is locking up when trying to tool path this profile. I am attaching the x_t., tol., and twd file. I've tried a few different tool setups even a single rough pass and still can't get it to tool path. Someone with a newer controller and computer may have more success. Thanks, Forrest
Attachments
Curve crown sample 5.zip
(245.47 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Can someone try to model this please.

Sorry disregard that last file it was from beta and you probably can't open it. Here is the new one. My twd is on a piece of 4" mdf material cut 3.22" wide with a slight radius. I've tried changing from board stock to panel stock to a cabinet back of the same stuff with no success. I haven't tried to make a straight piece but will later today. I did find a slight undercut on the profile early on but removed it and still cannot get it to toolpath in PM. Forrest
Attachments
Curve crown sample 5.zip
(245.31 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

My problems with the PM always leads back to the basic dxf file that I am trying to get to profile
If I draw these profiles my self, no problem. But when I use customer supplied files, I almost always have problems
Start from scratch and redraw the profile and look at the resulting file sizes all the way through the process.
Starting with dxf then tol then twd
small changes in dxf file size make huge changes in twd file size
I have wrestled this beast many times and am sure of only one thing. It will be back the next time i get a file from someone else
If you want to send me the dxf file I will look at it also dxf part outline and thickness will@willmade.com
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hi forrest maby this will help
Attachments
Problem_Cutter.png
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by inside turn but I have many times machined square inside corners such as shown. I will have a chance a little later to redraw in cad the profile and try to figure out whats going on. One reason I wanted someone with a newer setup was to see how long it took to generate the toolpath. Forrest
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Forrest,

We just upgraded to the Q Core Control and your file froze it also.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Forrest,

Seems like it is the arc in the attached picture that is causing the grief.
SSi Crown.jpg
I recreated it and now all seems to work. I have attached the modified .x_t file and the .tol file for you to review or use. Please try it on your exact part with the curve and let me know if it works with it.

Not sure what the real issue is with it, so I am going to submit this to the programmers and let them see if they can come up with anything.
Attachments
SSi Crown1.zip
(12.89 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thanks, Scott. I was able to slightly mod the file as well and get it to run. I was also able to update my OS as per our discussion and PM as well. I do have another problem with it that maybe someone can shed light on. The material stock is 4" thick and the profile is only 3.52" tall. I set the tool to plunge -4" and all is well until I get to the cutting. The 3/4" hogging tool has a 5/8" by 5/8" stepover and down but will not start on the edge of the part. It starts on the first inside wall at the top of the profile. My piece is already to size so it leaves a narrow strip at the top that the 1/2" ballnose wants to blow out. I can't seem to figure out how to make it machine all the way across the top of the part. Forrest