Framed doors

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Alex Bowler
Company Name: cutshop

Framed doors

Post by Alex Bowler »

Hi
I need to create framed doors out of 18mm MDF. The center needs to be cut out leaving 55mm around the edges, it also needs to have
a 12.5 x 10 mm rebate on the back for a 12mm MDF panel to fit in. I can create this using part editor which is fine but when it is cut out it
pockets it instead of cutting out the center and machining the rebate in 2 cuts. Can any one help me with this?
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: Framed doors

Post by Daniel Odom »

You'll have to create a flat .tol and use the profile modeler to create the recess to avoid unnecessary pocketing. I usually just dxf nest those types of doors though.
Alex Bowler

Post by Alex Bowler »

Hi thanks for your help i usually us Aspan and just manually set tooling but i have alot of draws to do
and would like to use the draw front drilling. Could describe what you mean by a flat.tol, do you
just mean one with the standard straight cutter profile?
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

Yep, just make it a rectangle in the shape manager and set up a tool on the machine for that type of region. In Ecabinets you just use it to profile on the left or right of the geometry. It's been a while since I've done it, but I was able to get it working this way.
Alex Bowler

Post by Alex Bowler »

Hi is there a door already developed that i could just apply to the cabinets quite a process using profie modler.
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

Try making an mdf door in the door editor and use a custom interior tool that rabbets and also almost cuts through (you can't go all the way through. This way would require a flip op but would be faster to design.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Why not just draw a few chain comp's in a simple .dxf file and send it through CN?
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Daniel Odom

Post by Daniel Odom »

Well, doing it in Ecabinets you could create a door from a back, use the profile model tool and then constrain it, making it parametric and batchable. You could even do the insert for that door too by insetting a back to match the cut out, then all you need is a cut list and use batch to create the nests. That way you just make a list rather than having to draw out all of the doors/drawers and inserts. I think the OP wanted drawer holes to line up with the fronts.