2D Writing

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

MarcoKnjaschewitsch

2D Writing

Post by MarcoKnjaschewitsch »

Hello,

Wondering what was the best / universal way to make Words for signs on the thermwood that is the most compatable and easiest to work with on a CS45. I need to make some Logo's and Wondering what would work with a possibility for some fancy writing too. I'm thinking Auto cad but would need a decent lay out of how its done step by step so that i can get the basic structure i need down and how to get the layers correct and get them to work in regular nesting on the Thermwoods CN probably DXF file? Or another type of software to create stuff would be great!

Thanks!
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: 2D Writing

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Hi Marco,
Take a look at VCarve Pro software. It would excel at the tasks you have described. It runs great with my Thermwood, and it is very inexpensive.
Alternatively, you could vectorize text with another program and send it into control nesting to be cut with any tool you want, but the depth will be a constant and this approach would look very simplistic in comparison to what you could accomplish with carving software designed for that purpose.
Hope that helps,
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
MarcoKnjaschewitsch

Hi Thanks Josh, I am trying the trial 2D Cut which output would you use for the CS43? And will it work correct with the Table starting from a corner so you can use pins or is it put it out in the table somewhere???

Thanks!
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Marco, make sure you choose the post processor that suits your machine.
The code from VCarve references the upper right corner due to the X shift / Y shift, and will appear upside down from the operator's position, or the bottom left from the home / programmers position. Use a G52L1 or G52L2 as required for positioning and make sure your X shift and Y shift is increased a little bit for cutting outlines on an oversized blank if you drew the outline at the boundary of the part on screen.
This goes without saying, but I would recommend doing a "dry run" up in the air before cutting with a new piece of software.
Hope this helps,
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
MarcoKnjaschewitsch

what post processor am i looking for in the list that would work for the CS45? I don't see a thermwood list actually on the 2D section that they have. I am going to down the VCarve pro right now and work on that.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Marco,
I don't know what it comes with... You'll have to contact Vectric about that. They also have a helpful forum as well, it's free to register.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400