Help with Rotary Playback Device on M40

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Evan Blackstock
Company Name: University of Colorado

Help with Rotary Playback Device on M40

Post by Evan Blackstock »

Hi,
I am working on setting up and using the rotary playback device for our Thermwood M40-55 for the first time. However, when I start up the machine with everything connected (under option 2), I get an error putting it in emergency stop mode saying

"The following Sinamics Drives are Servo Off: X, Y, Z Spdl 1"

When I unplug the playback device and start the machine up without it, everything appears to work fine, it will go home, measure tools, etc. I have been having a hard time troubleshooting this - any ideas?

I will call thermwood when they are open again, but thought I would try here as well. Thanks

Evan
303-917-6700
Evan Blackstock

Re: Help with Rotary Playback Device on M40

Ok so this was a simple mistake on my part - I completely forgot about the playback device switch on the terminal box! Switched that to ON and now we're in business. Thought I would post a reply for reference in case anyone else has the same stupid mistake!

Reminds me of a story the Thermwood techs told of a service call flying out to Hawaii just to discover the the guy had the "% Feed Rate" knob set on zero... Glad it didn't come to that!

Evan
Evan Blackstock

Update:

I still haven't gotten this to work. I've tried creating a new fixture offset above the head stock of the rotary device, called by a "G52L2" command at the beginning of the G code, but now it goes to that spot, rotary unit kind of shudders, and it shuts down saying "Following error B Axis." I've tried different origin points in Artcam as well, and I either get an out of bounds error or this B axis error. Any ideas?

Evan
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Evan,

Call our service department. 1-800-221-3856 They should be able to help you.