Please help me with shaker doors

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kyle Fernando
Company Name: PDT Woodworking and Cabinetry

Please help me with shaker doors

Post by Kyle Fernando »

Hello All,

Earlier this morning my boss asked me to get the CNC to cut out shaker style doors, out of 3/4" MDF. At first I tried to use eCabinets door maker to set this up, but it seems I can only add profiles, and not cut in a recessed panel. I found some other threads in the forums about this issue and I came to the conclusion that, I just cant make a 1 piece shaker style door out of mdf in eCabinets.

I reported this to my boss, and he told me that the guy who used to do my job got the CNC to cut shaker doors from 1 piece of mdf. He did it from Rhino using 2 methods. One method was to import a .dxf from Rhino directly onto the Thermwood control panel, and the second method was by converting the model data from rhino into an excel file .xls, which the Thermwood terminal can read. So I quickly modelled out a 3/4" door with a recessed panel, exported it as a .dxf. Upon trying to import it I selected the material 3/4" MDF Doors. And I got this error:
"The material selectedfor the DXF part G:\shakerdoortest2.dxf has incorrect thickness.
The thickness required is 0.000
This DXF part will not be in the nest."

So I decided to look online to find a tutorial/answer to this issue as well as how to even approach turning a model into a spreadsheet.

I have been looking into these 2 ways for a couple hours now and I have had no success. I am not sure If I am missing the right keywords, or if maybe my boss doesnt know the key details'of his old employee's methods. So I turned to the Thermwood blog to hopefully find someone who has a solution for me.

I know the information I have provided is vague but I am desperate for a solution. Regarless if it is one of the methods above or a different one altoghter I need to find a way to cut a 1 piece shaker mdf doors on the CNC.

You are my only hope,
Kyle
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: Please help me with shaker doors

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Hi Kyle, you can try this "cabinet" file and see if it will work for you. Put it in your cabinets directory.

Remember to carefully select your pocketing tools and set up your corner cleanup as desired (in Control Nesting).
You can also edit the constraints on this door if you wish by using the constraint manager.
This might get you what you want for now and you may decide to refine your process later, perhaps with dxf files instead.

The reason you got that error when loading the dxf files into control nesting is because the outline layer in the dxf file was either set to z0 or it didn't have an outline layer at all.
Read the DXF layer naming section of the Control Nesting manual for more info on that, it should help get you going if you decide to take the dxf approach.
Hope that helps,
jnr
Attachments
shaker 2 flat p25 recess.hsf
(140.02 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

Here's my variation, the door is constrained, cuts through rather than pocket and also creates the insert panel. You'll need a flat spiral tool set up in profile modeler to create the rabbet that the panel fits in to. Also you have to adjust the depth to change the width and just ignore the width as this door is actually a left and right side of a cabinet. Adjust constraints as necessary but make sure to adjust the insert insets as well to match.
Attachments
shaker door constrained.zip
(62.92 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

You can use a slab door with a edgband material set to 0 thickness and apply the pockets then constrain them. This would allow you to show the doors on the cabinet.
The draw back to this method is that you have to install the door/doors on the cabinet then apply the geometry and constraints. But you could create a library of cabinets with this type of door .
here is my version
Attachments
B 1op1Dwr FL FR.hsf
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 354 times
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Kyle Just wandering if you worked this out?
Kyle Fernando

Post by Kyle Fernando »

Hello all,

I actually just got in to work after the weekend. I appreciate everyones help, and wanted to extend my thanks. I will get to work now and try to apply any or all of the methods. I will reply back with my results.

Thanks again!
Kyle Fernando

Post by Kyle Fernando »

Hello,

Thanks to the Thermwood Community we actually managed to cut, our 1 peice shaker door. I ended up using the technique where I cut a pocket into a Slab door, using the part editor. Such powerful tool. Thanks again everyone. The files you provided me were especially helpful.

Now our next step is to contstruct another 1 peice door. This time with a profile around the outside.

My boss asked me to do a test with a stepped profile similar to example A and then once I complete that we will attempt example B using the same technique..

I wanted to ask all of you. The tool to achieve this kind of outer profile would be to use "contour"mode in the part editor?? I also imagine that I would have to draw the profil in Rhino, and somehow move it to the part editor.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me earlier. It was truly appreciated.