override tool auto slection (closest diamiter)

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Evan Corey
Company Name: Kitchen Creation

override tool auto slection (closest diamiter)

Post by Evan Corey »

Noticed that my cnc has stoped using the 3/8" bit, and defaults to the 1/4" for all pocketing opperations. We use pocket and tennon construction in this shop, assinging the 3/8" to cut the tennons and the 1/4" for the pockets. I would like to find a way to set so that it does auto select the 1/4" for both opperations, as its burns up the smaller 1/4" bits to quickly while the 3/8" gathers dust..

Thanks
Evan.
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Re: override tool auto slection (closest diamiter)

Post by Daniel Odom »

Check control nesting settings, try auto-select option and make sure to not leave too much of a clean up pass so that the bit can still fit within the pocket shape bounds when offset by cleanup amount. You could also check your tool settings and make it so that 1/4" is not available for pocketing routines; only dado.
Evan Corey

Post by Evan Corey »

I have tryed what you suggested with no luck. I set the cleanup to 0.01" on both 1/4" and 3/8" bits.
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

Is this an Ecabinets file or dxf? If ecabinets then the fitness is controlled by constructions setting in the cabinet file, it's not a pocket but a dado. I think to do what you are wanting the depth of the dado needs to be 3/8 and the blind dado tenon thickness needs to equal 1/4 using whatever percentage gets you that number. Sorry, I read "pocket" in your post and didn't realize you meant dado. The pocket setting in control nesting won't have any effect in this situation.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

You will need to make sure that the mortise is wider than your 3/8 tool. If it is and your machine is still picking up the 1/4 tool then you need to redo the order of operation tools. If your 1/4 is in your operations list before the 3/8 then it will always select the 1/4. The software looks at each operation and then looks at the operation tools list in order to see if it can find a tool. This means that if the 1/4 is the operation 1 tool and it can use it, it will not look at operation 2 or up.
Evan Corey

Post by Evan Corey »

thank you all for the advice, everything seems to be on track now.
Brent Riley
Company Name: Middleton Joinery

Post by Brent Riley »

Ive done something similar and now it gets stuck on couldn't find tool for pocket operation. nothing loads
Intel 3960X, 32GB 2400MHz DDR3, GTX680 SC in SLI 128GB Samsung SSD in RAID 0.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

You will need to check the tooling section to make sure you have tools selected for pocketing. Also make sure that there is NO name in the name field. THis is used for specific softwares and Cn will ignore any tool with a name unless it is reading from these files. Next make sure that your pocket clean up amount is not too large that it cannot fit the tool in the pocket. If the pocket is only .4 wide and you have a cleanup of .1, then you will only have a area .2 for pocketing before the cleanup.
Brent Riley

Post by Brent Riley »

Is there any way to retrieve the tool settings from previous settings? I might have erased all the tools witht the erase button now Im unsure of which ones to put back in. Im only using a 10mm Triple flute cutter as an outline tool and same as for any dado or pocketing. The Drill banks are also used.

I tried to enter only the 10mm in and the drill banks but still come up with the problem.

Every time I go to nest I get Couldn't find tool to work for pocket operation "#" on left end , top end etc. This is up to 400 times before it ends in either an incomplete looking nest, or another error once pocketing has been finished saying Error Opening Nestlib. Exiting...

I need to get some cabinets cut urgently.
Brent Riley

Post by Brent Riley »

therm1.jpeg
therm3.jpeg
therm2.jpeg