wont nest "back panel"

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ben Carter
Company Name: Livesound Ltd

wont nest "back panel"

Postby Ben Carter » Tue, Mar 05 2013, 4:34PM

hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, first time posting.
I've drawn up a "dj table" in ecabinets and when i go to nest it in our machine it will nest all the parts with the dados but it wont nest the back panels, i've deleted all parts etc off the drawing and tried to nest it as a "blank" piece and still no luck? frustrating as I'm supposed to have this job out the door today.

HELP PLEASE.

Ben

George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: wont nest "back panel"

Postby George Davidson » Tue, Mar 05 2013, 4:45PM

Hi Ben
How big is the back panel

Ben Carter

Postby Ben Carter » Tue, Mar 05 2013, 4:46PM

1600 x 575 x 18mm plywood

Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Postby Gerry A Brown » Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:14PM

Hi,

It could be the grain direction. The CN software may be looking for a 1600 mm wide panel. If you are not concerned about grain direction in the CN software chose the material & edit it to having no grain. CN assumes x axis is grain direction.

Gerry

Ben Carter

Postby Ben Carter » Tue, Mar 05 2013, 5:29PM

Gerry, that was it. Thankyou for the prompt replys.

Ben Carter

dado two cabinets in a assembly

Postby Ben Carter » Sun, Mar 10 2013, 5:54PM

Hi People,

Trying to create a assembly with two cabinets that are dadoed together in the back panel, how do i go about this?

Cheers
Ben

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Postby Scott Marshburn » Mon, Mar 11 2013, 6:27AM

Remove the backs from the two cabinets Then Load a 3rd cabinet that has every thing except for the back removed You can then resize this back to the Proper width and height then align the back to the cabinets using the align tool. Extend the cabinets ends and decks as needed to set into the dadoes in the back. Take the back into part editor and create pockets That will be your dadoes. Then return it to the main screen. Then take the back into constraints manager to constrain the pockets to there proper locations.

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Postby Scott Marshburn » Mon, Mar 11 2013, 6:43AM

Another way is to take a single cabinet and extend its back For example 36 inches on the right the add your second cabinet to get the locations of the pockets then repeat the steps posted to create and constrain the pockets.Delete the second cabinet and save the cabinet with the extended back. This would allow you to resize the cabinets as needed. You would have to adjust the extended back as required for different size cabinets that will be placed next to it.

Dennis Englert

Postby Dennis Englert » Mon, Mar 11 2013, 10:45AM

Another method.

Load one cabinet. Setup your basic cabinet for placement of components, i.e., side flush, back flush and assign your overall construction method, i.e., blind dado. Copy and paste that cabinet so you have the second cabinet. Move the cabinets into position aside each other.

In Construction Settings (CS), set the joinery to Blind Dado or Full Dado for both backs. Inset (back inset) the mating Left and Right Ends, so the back can pass through to the other cabinet. Extend one of the backs so that it would be the correct size. If you delete the other back, then you'll lose the dado, so don't delete it. That second back will show up on the cut and cost lists. You can eliminate it by filtering it from your nest or minimize it by using an inset for that back so it is extremely small. The good thing is that the dado and tenon should match without drawing it and using constraints.

As in various scenarios, if you change the size of either cabinet, then you may need to adjust the length of the back. If the height of both cabinets are changed, then both backs should adjust, as well as any changes in cabinet depth. If you inset the back on one, then you need to inset by the same amount on the other.

Dennis

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Postby Rick Palechuk » Mon, Mar 11 2013, 2:55PM

Dennis, can you post an example cab? I'm just trying to wrap my head around this topic. :?:

Dennis Englert

Postby Dennis Englert » Mon, Mar 11 2013, 2:59PM

I've attached an assembly of two cabinets, that I just roughed up to see if my theory would work.

Dennis
Attachments
Stretched Back 2 Cabinets.esa
(368.02 KiB) Downloaded 424 times

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Postby Rick Palechuk » Mon, Mar 11 2013, 5:27PM

I get it. Thanks Dennis.

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”