Cutting Solution

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Cutting Solution

Post by Rob Davis »

We have a series of parts that have mitered edges and we build them that way on eCabs and then the program wants to build a "Cutting Solution" to make the 45 degree edge by taking a small diameter bit and multiple passes stepping up and over and forming the edge. It is slow but it works with the exception that it seems to start 0.060" BELOW the bottom of the part and stops 0.060" below the top of the part. (Dimension is guess) This leaves a groove in the spoil board of 0.060" deep by the diameter of the cutter plus cuts the parts free before we outline and it also leaves a step at the top of the mitered edge that is vertical instead of angled.
Anybody else have this issue? Solution?
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Cutting Solution

Post by Scott Marshburn »

You could use a 45 deg. Cutter and set it up in control nesting under Mdf door options .but it will still cut the part free if you are cutting all the way around the part. Also be sure to leave enough part clearance to keep the cutter from cutting into the parts beside it
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

I just cut the cab parts as over-sized and do the mitering on the table saw. If something really needs to be miter-folded I design it in Autocad in 2-d and use centerline for the miter paths. Though, I think you should be able to profile model this in ecabs using a 45 degree, just have to have a real 45 degree tool set up in the control profile modeler settings, where the depth and step-over are the same value and the diameter needs to be set up as having a value that is 2x that of the step-over value, sounds right? I imagine to get sharp interior corners you'd still have to make a lot of passes using small step/depth and diameter values as this isn't true v-carving.
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Thanks Daniel and Scott. I think I am going to go to MasterCam. Giving up on eCabs for this one. We even tried faking the computer into thinking the 45 degree cutter was a dao tool with 0.010 diameter and creating a pocket on edge with 0.010. No go.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Rob,
Maybe this post will help:
http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... ool#p65581

jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service