Installing over a network

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Installing over a network

Post by jason galbraith »

Sorry it's probably been asked a lot before, but can Ecabs or even library, materials etc.be installed on on nasbox or server and then all the other computers link back to that. We now have 5 computers running Ecabs and the Librarys are on each computer and of course changes get made to one library and not the other and it's getting really messy.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Re: Installing over a network

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Jason,

I understand your issue and realize that a lot of our users have this problem but at this time, eCabinets is not capable of running on a server.

thanks,
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

While eCabinets can not be run on a server, the user data directory can be placed on a network share and all the computer can map the network drive to a drive letter and point it to this directory. All users will see the same cabinets, assemblies, doors, drawers, jobs, etc. The settings is found under Settings/Preferences under User Data Path. A couple things to note. 1. Materials is not be shared between computers 2. The Hardware database is not shared between computers. The only way to sync those is to do a backup and restore. 3. There is no file locking. So users can save over each others work.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
jason galbraith

Thank you.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
jason galbraith

Hi there, so we finally got around to insalling a NAS and I've shared my library - copied the entire thermwood folder over to the NAS - and shared it and it SEEMS to work, but it keeps throwing up this error whenever i save or open jobs, does it pretty much all the time doesn't matter whether I click yes or no. Do you know what might be causing this?
Attachments
Error 1.JPG
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

I will quickly guess that it may be the apostrophe " ' " in the directly path. When it is being parsed by the "scripting sub-system" that "symbol" in "jason's library" may be messing things up. Try keeping apostrophe's, double quotes, @ and &'s out of the directory path names and see.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
jason galbraith

Great thinking. I'll give that a try. Thanks.