Having trouble moving a cabinet into place

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Having trouble moving a cabinet into place

Post by Donald Thomson »

I've attached a simple kitchen job. There is a cabinet hanging out in the room that I want to move under the long cabinet on the long wall. It is an open plate storage cabinet.

When I try to move it, it goes to a certain spot, stops and jumps to another location. I continue trying to move and it repeats this operation of move, stop jump back to start. I've tried associating it to the long wall and not associating it to the long wall. I get the same results. :wall:

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong because I am at a loss as to how to move it into place.

Thanks!!!
Attachments
Bob Cabaniss kitchen.zip
(2.68 MiB) Downloaded 291 times
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Having trouble moving a cabinet into place

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Donald,
Try changing the mounting height before bringing the cabinet into custom lay out. However I was able to move the cabinet by associating it to both walls and adjusting as needed in the elevation view.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Also make sure that your Place Cabinet is set to FREE STYLE.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I removed the cabinet. Changed to Elevation view. Then I re-inserted it, but chose the down arrow icon. Change the mounting height to 70.4031, which is the bottom of your other cabinet. It then placed without any issues, i.e., jumping around, etc.

There is a video in Knowledge Base>Custom Layout about stacked cabinets. It is actually a little more complicated than what you are trying to do, but does specify that you need to change your mounting height. The software can not place cabinets on top of each other, which is what it was trying to do. The video also explains a method of adjusting the height of multiple cabinets of different sizes that are stacked.

If the Placement Mode was set to Free Style, you could've placed it anywhere, including merging it into the wall or another cabinet.

Dennis
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Thank you all for your replies.

It is weird that I can't place these two cabinets one on top of the other. In the previous kitchen design I did, I had an upper corner cabinet placed. I then created an appliance garage using another corner cabinet and I got the two to line up perfectly without any of the jumping around that is happening with this kitchen. Of course, the previous one was done in the previous version of the software, so I don't know if there was a change.

Thanks again everyone!
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Don,

I'm not sure how you got the last scenario to work, but to the best of my knowledge this has been the behavior of the software since Day 1. You can not locate two upper cabinets that have the same upper mounting position in the same spot. You can always move a cabinet after it has been placed, but if "Align to Back" is active, then it has to snap to the right or left of an installed cabinet or a wall. Aside from the method previously stated, a bank of upper cabinets can be made into an assembly and then installed as a unit. There is a video on that, also.

Dennis
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Thanks Dennis.

I deleted the cabinet I was having problems with and then brought it back using Free positioning and everything is cool.

I appreciate the help with this.

Have a great 4th of July!!!! :beer:
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA