Flip ops

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Flip ops

Post by Tim Massa »

Running some melamine boxes where I have a center partition with an adjustable shelf on each side. The shelves above and below space are equal and the top and bottom of the partition are getting rafix. No matter what I do the software is geiving me a flip op for the partitions. Rafix on either side. Doesnt matter. Looks like some of the 5mm holes are green in the Link nest so maybe it's wanting to flip for these holes instead of boring straight thru the panel. Real annoying. Just ran a couple of cabs out of this job two days ago and it ran the partitions fine. Anyone have any suggestion on what ele to be looking for to avoid the flips?

Thanks
tim
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Flip ops

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Are the flip ops showing green when you nest in eCabinets If so this might be because you have the depth set to less than the material thickness. For example the material thickness is .75 inches and you have the holes set at .375 on each side of the partition then in eCabinets it will nest them as Flip ops but at the thermwood controller it will just drill through. On the flip side ( no pun intended) if the material is .75 inches and you have the shelf holes set to .25 on each side then eCabinets and at the controller it will show up as a flip op. hope this makes sense.
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Hard to say without seeing the cabinet, but have you tried setting the hole patterns to slightly more than 1/2 the material thickness? At one point (in at least the SB Link) I needed to set the depth of shelf holes more than 1/2 material depth to get them to drill through on partitions. There was an error there, not sure if it has since been corrected.

.Edit-I didn't see Scott's post above before posting.
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Thanks Guys,

Oddly it is showing green holes in about half the shelf pin holes of one shelf! I have 4 partitions that are getting flip labels from the link and are nesting the holes this way. Just tried increasing depth of shelf pin holes to .378" in .76" material and nested the part. Picture shows the resulting nest. Very odd.

On second thought I may fiddle fart around some more with the cab. I only highlighted the shelf and changed the construction setting. Might need to strip the shelf out and re-install it with the revised shelf pin hole depths. It's never good to assume that what you did will get done in the program unless you strip it out and re-install or start all over. I'll check and see if this resolves it after I get a sheet going in a few minutes.
Attachments
Partition flip oddidties.png
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Same result stripping out the shelves, tying a .4" hole depth and re-installing a shelf. Same.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Can you poste the cabinet that you are having issues with?
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Flip ops were done for the shelf pin holes only. All the hinge mount plates were thru drilled at the machine. Makes me think that it is a shelf pin hole depth but I dont understand why the .4" depth in .76" material was still generating a flip in the E-cabs nest.
Attachments
Cabinets Remainder final.esj
(5.47 MiB) Downloaded 291 times
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Tim are the holes showing up as flip op's at the machine also? I know that in eCabinets it will show some shelf holes as flips but not at the machine.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

I got the flips eliminated on the black material by deleting the shelves, then adding them back in.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Actually they're all gone now in Control Nesting. All I did was delete them and put them back in.
Only thing I can think of is maybe you had a rounding error when the shelves were put in originally - make sure you're working in decimal when you put the shelves back in.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Still Have it happening in E-cabs. Odd....
Attachments
Partition flip oddidties Deeper shelf holes.png
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Goes away in link.....
Attachments
Partition flip oddidties Deeper shelf holes control nest.png
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Josh,

Always have my unit values in imperial decimal. Found out the hard way what happens if you don't. Good reminder though. Can't have enough reminders in E-cabs.

Thanks.
Tim
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Yep ecabs will be happy to remind you of things the hard way any time! lol...
You will always see flips in ecabinets, you will always have to check in CN or the Link to really see what's going to happen.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400