Part editor trouble with DXF again

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tim Massa

Re: Part editor trouble with DXF again

Post by Tim Massa »

Dennis,

Thanks for looking into this. The scaling is strange. I've imported the AI files into Ecabs fine after exploding it a number of times. Having segmented arcs will not work for me. Especially in dealing with typography.
I've attached two images of the client supplied artwork. Export out to another CAM program and its scale and vectors import fine. A close up of the R confirms the curves are intact.
I've read over the documentation for DXF exporting from AI and noticed we are saving in the previous versions of ACAD. I will try selecting the recommended version to see if this helps.

Thanks for looking into this. Being able to port over AI files would be a great boon for Ecabs IMHO. Would make it that much more powerful than it already is.
Attachments
FS Logotype.png
FS Logotype enlarged.png
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Larry,

Will adding anchor points more and more result in shorter and shorter lines to describe the arc? Are we trying to 'trick the machines control software into believing that the pile of straight lines it see's is really just an arc and will cut accordingly? Just trying to better understand whats going on in the AI steps for dxf export.
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Interestingly, this was the result of the ai vectors taken into the recommended Draftsight.

were going thru the steps as outlined in Larry's PDF and I will post the results.
Attachments
Draftsight result.png
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Did Larry send a pdf?

Dennis
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Whoops!

Sorry Dennis. Had a brain fart. Again, thanks.
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Must have included to many anchor points. Got the geometry to load in the shape editor real slow. went back into part editor and I'm about 5 minutes into the pocket operation. Reminds me of meing back on ancient motorola 68xxx CPU computer.
I'm guessing to many anchor points were included in AI? To much information for ECabs?
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

O.K.,
that resulted in a script error and a 'object invalid or no longer set' error message when returning to ecabs main cab editor. Hit O.K. and it keeps coming back up agin and again and again... Epic fail.
Will try with fewer anchor points in AI....
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Before you go much further on the "Fruition Seeds" plaque. eCabinet's and Control Nesting or the ShopBot Link are not going to cut that plaque. It would cut out or pocket the first shape that you sent, but it is not signage software. You need to look at ArtCam or comparable software for that.

Dennis
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Success!

Reduced the amount of anchor points and it worked!
Brought the DXF into my CAD program and repositioned it to the 0,0. Het explode and saved it off again. Went thru the necessary steps in ecabs and VIOLA!... She took it. Took some time but not nearly as long as the first go around. Added 205 anchor points to graphics in AI. and this was the result. Maybe less would have worked all right, also.
I guess it will take some experimenting on our part to find out how many anchor points will be enough. I'm pleased with the results of this though. Larger arcs appear to be smooth. We're very encouraged by this. I'm ignorant to the why's and wherefores of anchor points but it appears like its a good workaround. Have to look into those anchors more.

Thank you DENNIS for your help.
Attachments
newest attempt from AI.png
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I think the anchor points can give you a good base to redraw some of the geometry. The larger arcs and even the line on the bottom are created with a series of small lines. You can replace the line(s) on the bottom with a single line and the two arcs (line segments) at the base with two arcs. You will get smoother results when you machine those.

Dennis
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

Dennis,

DO anchor points segment a line? Hypothetically, would having more segments to describe an arc help trick the machine into seeing those small segments as a continuous arc? I'm thinking back to a while ago when I had some "hammering" going on with arcs being nested thru the E-cab link. I thought that the tolerance needed to be adjusted for the nest to "see" those small lines and the degree of change in direction between them, as one continuous arc?
If that is somewhat correct, will adding anchor points help to increase the number of segments and, hopefully, have the nest see it as a continuous arc?

Just trying to better understanding of how E-cabs handles arcs, I'll start researching previous posts on this subject to find more info.

Yes, I agree the Logotype will be better handled by a more suitable CAD CAM program for graphics. I was just trying to avoid the process of having to run separate files from different programs and individually load/ unload the cabinet sides in order to get that pocket cut operation done. Also, there's the cheap thrill of using a tool in a way that it was not intended for.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

From my experiments, straight lines and arcs do get segmented. When running either of these, the machine has to negotiate the increased number of segments, which would be most likely be reflected in the cut. On a Thermwood, a tangency factor code could relieve some of that. In reality, AI provides you with a tool to create points. I'm not an expert or even a novice in AI. I opened it. Saw a problem and researched the internet for possible solutions. Personally, I would use this as a tool to create points, much like creating points from a scan or converting a jpg. Then I would evaluate the result and redraw those areas that need to be refined. At the machine, a G02(cw) or G03(ccw) arc command would be interpreted as one fluid cutting motion, where as an arc that has been broken into line segments will generate multiple G01 commands that the machine must negotiate. In that case, you potentially have acceleration and deceleration for each and every line, plus the lines are tangent to each other that further exacerbates the shakiness of the cut. The control must cut the line, accel/decal, change direction ever so minutely and then execute the next short line segment.

Dennis
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

It should read "plus the lines are NOT tangent"