DXF and pocketing

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Ian Richardson
Company Name: Millworx

DXF and pocketing

Post by Ian Richardson »

Just touching on DXF files with our Thermwood 43. I've attached a pic. As you can see, some areas were not pocketed? Not sure if my settings for tools are correct. It used 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" and 1/8 tools to create. We have just purchased Artcam but haven't had time to use it yet. Any ideas about why these random areas would not be cleared? Also a few of the letters have been cut wrong?
Any tricks or tips are appreciated

Thanks
Ian
Attachments
hd1.jpg
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: DXF and pocketing

Post by Will Williamson »

Check this out. there is currently a post open at http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... =3&t=13736 discussing this same thing
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Will... the link you refereed to is not really discussing the same issue with Layered DXFs (the link is discussing linearization of polylines and data from external sources)...

The issue that Ian is having is due to the fact that Control Nesting does not support pockets with islands (that's when you want to leave areas within a pocketed area alone). It appears that Ian has tried to work around this by creating multiple pocketed areas that butt up against one another in order to avoid certain "islands" when clearing out around them. The problem with that is that you can't overlap the regions so you are then left with "corner radius" artifacts.

I am not sure why some areas did not get pocketed in Ian's image - I would have to look at the DXF itself.

I think that most people would state that Control Nesting - and what it can do with simple Layered DXF files - is great. I also believe that some people have done AMAZING things manipulating the tools available in the DXF/Control Nesting feature set.

I would also like to point out that - and I hope that I am not out of line on this - what Control Nesting does with Part Editor operations, Profile Modeler and via Layered DXF files was never intended to do EVERYTHING a full CAD/CAM package can do. It can do some things they can do and even some things they CAN'T do, but it is not able to do everything a whateverCAM can do. Perhaps one day, but for now the more complex tasks or areas where one wants more specific control over the machining parameters may require a 3rd party CAD/CAM program. Luckily a Thermwood can work with the majority of them.

Just my 5 cents...
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Thanks Brad for clarifying things I agree with your comments. Although this is not the same specific problem as the post I referred to. The solution is the same. quit wasting your time on a system that was never intended to accomplish these sort of projects. Thermwood needs to offer a better solution. It must cost them thousands of dollars every year supporting this antiquated method.
Part of the problem is that Thermwood's tech support, yourself included is the very best and as a result can almost always solve the problem or suggest a work around. So you think to yourself Ok I'm on the right track I just need more experience and I will eventually master the technique. Only to find that you are calling tech support on every project. Just like today you are going to help Ian solve this problem. In the future he thinks he's heading in the right direction.

I have done some amazing projects with the part editor and profile modeler. but at the cost of spending hundreds and thousands of frustrating hours because I did not have $10,000.00 to spend for AC. or $12,000 for MasterCam the whole time thinking that was the only solution.
And it sort of bums me out to see others going down that same hard road.
There are other solutions available for as little as 6 or 7 hundred dollars that are easy to learn and could toolpath this logo in about 2 minutes. I have held back on criticizing Thermwood for this, but after 7 years. I am going to start speaking up.
If you reviewed my posts over the last 7 years you will find that I have brought these same problems to the forum looking for solutions. But not one time did someone take the time to point me in the right direction.
As I move forward, I know it is just a matter of time before I will be at the show, standing in front of the owners of thermwood corporation and I will pickup this conversation up.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Will, I know what you mean about wasted time trying to bend part editor or control nesting to your will. And I also held out for a long time before spending money on cad-cam because I was daunted by what top shelf products cost. I know that Thermwood is taking a look at an entry level package that I and many other Thermwood owners are using and hope they will become a dealer soon. It cost about 25% of what mastercam does and does about anything you can throw at it. It's also much easier to learn and use.

Maybe Thermwood can shed some light if they are offering anything else yet?

Forrest
Brent East
Thermwood Team

Post by Brent East »

At this time Thermwood is not looking at expanding their Cad/Cam offering that I am aware of. There are a lot of different software packages available for the router market today. We have found it best to pick a solution that is tried and true and stay that course. This is the only way to refine our training and support of that product for the long term. This is the solution we have found with Mastercam, ArtCAM and Panelmetrix. All great products who we have invested a lot of time and money in being a total source solution for. The problem is we can't do that for every software available today. Will those other software packages work with your machine? Yes, most if not all are already operating Thermwood machines at some facility.

Control Nesting and the DXF layering have been used well above and beyond initial thoughts of what they could do. It is just another tool in the toolbox that in certain instances will outdo your stand alone Cad/Cam package, and at other times the Cad/Cam program just makes more sense. As with every software package and option I have been introduced to over my years here with Thermwood, no one package does everything perfectly. Our goal is to offer the tools to get the job done, we don't force anyone to use our solutions so we keep the control running standard code format to allow you to decide what package solution best fits your needs and budget. Our end goal is that you are happy and successful with your Thermwood machine.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Brent East wrote: Our end goal is that you are happy and successful with your Thermwood machine.
Just curious. But if some one should purchase one of these "other programs that has stock Post Processors that come with the program" would or could you guys help with the fine tuning of those Post Processors?
Brent East
Thermwood Team

Post by Brent East »

Scott,

Although we wouldn't be able to directly help with the fine tuning we have worked hand in hand with many different Cad/Cam software packages in the past to provide the help and guidance we could for them to fine tune it. Without knowing their software and their format the post is created in, we cannot do it ourselves. Although it is rare any more to find a package that doesn't already have a good working post for our equipment, I do get requests from time to time from them needing a little assistance.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Thanks Brent That is good to know