Trouble shooting atomatic oil system

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Evan Corey
Company Name: Kitchen Creation

Trouble shooting atomatic oil system

Post by Evan Corey »

one side of the cnc is well oiled (whiping oil off the trustrod onto mechine and floor) one side is nearly dry. The lines appear to be free of debrise, and oiler it driping regularly. I wondered if the defuser where the main line from the reservoir splits to feed the gantry tracks and trustrods bearlings could be ditry inside clogged up with the fine dust?
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Re: Trouble shooting atomatic oil system

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Evan,

I am not a service representative, but I am pretty sure that you should NOT have so much oil on a leadscrew that it "whips" off and splatters on the machine and floor as it spins. That may be just a little TOO "well oiled". The Autolube System is not really suppose to "drench" the lead screws or rails. I believe that they are only suppose to feel "slick", not too wet and not too dry.

You may want to contact our office and speak with one of our service personnel at here at CNC Automation. 1-800-421-5955 and ask to speak with Alain.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Dave Burtchell

Re: Trouble shooting atomatic oil system

Post by Dave Burtchell »

We too have found that some of our rails get more oil than others. You should be able to see a very thin film of oil on your rails. Not dripping wet, but visible. Pull the oiler hoses off one by one and point them at a piece of glass or mirror and you will see a slight halo of oil on the glass if it's working right. You should be able to feel air coming through each line. Of course this has to be done with the machine out of E-stop. We check the lead screw,(is this what you mean by "trustrod"?), by wrapping a piece of printer paper around it (machine IN E-stop) and squeeze and twist and see if there's an indication of oil on the paper. Make sure the drip feed is set right. Seems to me it's one drop every 4-6 seconds, but look it up in your manual. Check the pressure to your oiler, also. Should be a tag there giving correct setting. Check your air line filter. You shouldn't have any fine dust in the manifold (diffuser) if your air is clean.

Hope this helps,
Dave