Exporting to Excel so I can Import from Excel

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Brenda Hallman
Company Name: Northlander Industries

Exporting to Excel so I can Import from Excel

Post by Brenda Hallman »

Good Morning All:

I have been using the Import from Excel spreadsheet for some time in E-Cabinets. It works great! It saves so much time when we are doing repetative kitchens (We produce Park Model Trailers and customers order from a brochure ... so alot are repetative). You can call me lazy but it seems difficult to make sure the line (of text in Excel) is completely accurate. If one [space] or [character] is not correct then the item will not load. I could just make a batch in E-Cabinets and save it (as a .esj or .twd file) and load one of those files. The only problem is the file that is saved at batching time is {Captured in time ??? not sure how to properly explain this}. Therefore, say if after doing a few of a certain cabinet then the cabinet guys get frustrated with always having to do "xxx" ... then I can change the cabinet .hsf file. However, the file doesn't get "updated" for anything that is loaded using the e-cabinet .esj or .twd files. So I am really not saving myself anytime. Then I thought I could load the cabinet list in Batch form. Then I could Export to excel and pull the information from the cutlist.xls file. I have tried and there is one thing that is holding me back (see attached PDF)

When I delete the [/] then the entire line disapears. I tried to find/replace ( find =/ ; replace =[ ]) as soon as I did then the line disappeared. If I did the find/ replace for [\] then all slashes disappeared and the whole line dissapeared.

Anyone have any ideas? If you need more information then let me know. Slightly frustrated that I just can't Export in the same format that I Import :wink:

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Attachments
Excel Problem.pdf
(663.31 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
Dennis Englert

Re: Exporting to Excel so I can Import from Excel

Post by Dennis Englert »

You did not attach your actual files, i.e., the cabinet, the cut list, etc.

I'm curious when the "/" is being introduced. When I look at a cut list for a Batch, I don't see that anywhere. Is it in the Cabinet Name (Disregard this question)

How are you editing the cut list? Manually, or have you created a Visual Basic file to extract and manipulate the data in the Cut List. As you've noted, it does not make sense for the entire line to disappear by editing that character.

Dennis
Brenda Hallman
Company Name: Northlander Industries

Post by Brenda Hallman »

Thanks for the response to my post.

Attached to the original post is a .pdf file with a copy of the print outs from e-cab batch file sheet, the e-cabinets(Excel Speadsheet) Export and the Excel Spreadsheet that I need to turn the export into to get it to re-import. It is very strange that the [/] is a problem removing.

I have been researching the uses of VBA excel programming. I think I will start to program something and see if I can manipulate in some way using that meathod. I am thinking that the [/] itself is a comand to e-cabinets { thinking that \ = open file folder & /=close file folder .... just my thoughts].

One of the basic tutorials on VBA said something to the effect ... "VBA sounds like a difficult task, however once you get onto it you will able to manipulate spreadsheets with ease. So much so that it will be working while you go get a coffee. It will produce spreadsheets that will impress your boss, so much so that you will likely get a raise or a promotion to a job you really don't deserve!" LMAO ... all I was hoping was to loose some of the back log of work I have to do and get back to my first love ... designing! However, a raise might be nice :D
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Brenda here is a link to some very good viedos. If you have not seen them you might want to check them out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ExcelVbaIsFun?feature=watch
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

I've played with several ways of getting a spreadsheet from the Batch module. In all cases, I was able to remove the "\" using traditional methods to select it and delete it.

If you have any background with programming, then Visual Basic should be relatively easy for you, though there will be a learning curve for extracting specific info, such as the cabinet's dimensions. I think that in the end, it would benefit you to learn it as any other methods would be prone to error and also be very tedious, such as copy and paste.

Can you send the files that you are working with to Cabinets@thermwood.com?

Dennis

PS. On short files, I don't think you'll have time for coffee as your post indicated. It'll just free you up for more work :(