Cut Through Depth and Holes From Part Editor

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

J Sidney Smith
Company Name: Lomans Fine Custom Cabinetry

Cut Through Depth and Holes From Part Editor

Post by J Sidney Smith »

I am designing 5mm holes in Ecabinets part editor using the Cut Through Option under Cut/Pocket Using Geometric Shapes. Cabinet Editor depicts the holes as cut all the way through.

The outline cuts on this job are cutting all the way through with the Cut Through Depth currently specified in Control Nest Setting. However these 5mm cut through holes designed in Part Editor are not.

My question: Does the Cut Through Depth set up in Control Nest Settings get applied to the drill depth of holes designed as cut through in Part Editor? If not, any ideas on work arounds?
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Cut Through Depth and Holes From Part Editor

Post by Scott G Vaal »

J Sidney Smith wrote:My question: Does the Cut Through Depth set up in Control Nest Settings get applied to the drill depth of holes designed as cut through in Part Editor?

The answer is Yes, It does apply cut through for drill holes that are all the way through a part, regardless of how they were made on the part (shelf holes, hardware hole pattern holes, or part editor holes). This is true for any through cut on a part (round hole or other shapes). You may want to ensure your daylight is getting set correctly. Also, I have seen on drilling with certain tools where a straight plunge and retract can sort of push/flex the veneer and leave a very thin skin (especially if your bit is getting dull). You could try tweaking your daylight for the drill tool to be a few thousandths larger. You probably already are, but you will want to use an up-spiral bit for this type of drilling as well (compression spiral tools should never be used for straight drilling). Hope this helps.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

If your using a brad point drill bit often times the center point is longer than the outside cutters. This will keep it from drilling all the way thru. Try adding .05 inches or half a mm to your daylight value. I bet it cuts thru.

Forrest
J Sidney Smith
Company Name: Lomans Fine Custom Cabinetry

Post by J Sidney Smith »

Thanks Scott for confirmation and Forrest for your input,

I'll look at areas suggested, just wanted to eliminate this as a possibility prior to exploring other issues.

Sid Smith