Global Modifications Changing Cabinet Size

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jesse Ogburn
Company Name: Ogburns Cabinet Shop Inc

Global Modifications Changing Cabinet Size

Post by Jesse Ogburn »

Hi,
I am currently using the Global Item Modification option to manage libraries and jobs and I ran into what I would assume is a bug. We were in the middle of assembling a kitchen and we noticed that all the cabinets were anywhere from 1/2" to 1 1/4" less than what they were supposed to be. Here's what I discovered: If you create a batch list of cabinets and then change a feature using the Global Mod option all the cabinets will be resized according this way...The total sum of the outside face frame scribes will be subtracted from the total width of the cabinet each time the Global Mod option is run. For instance, if a 24" cabinet has 1/4" scribes on both sides of the face frame then after the modification the cabinet would be 23 1/2". The next time it is run, the size would be 23".
I only noticed this when I modified the doors. It didn't happen when I just changed materials. Also it didn't happen in the cabinet editor, only in the batch list.
So this is a warning to anyone using the modification options to double check the end result to make sure that everything is still the correct size.
I didn't see any updates so if someone else has had this problem and got it fixed, please let me know!
Thanks,
Jesse
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: Global Modifications Changing Cabinet Size

Post by Scott Marshburn »

WOW! This also happens in custom layout Thanks for the heads up. Have you reported this to THM?
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

This also happens when changing just the board stock on cabinets with face frames.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Ok so it seems that this only happens to framed cabinets with a scribe on the left and/or right stiles. This is totally a bug. And a big one. This totally blew my mind for a few minutes as I just tested this feature a couple of weeks ago. But when I backtracked my steps I realized that the test cabinets I was using had 0 scribes.

Tanks Jesse for the post this will defiantly save a lot of people a lot of time and money.
Jesse Ogburn

Post by Jesse Ogburn »

Yeah, something not immediately obvious like this could cost quite a bit on a large job. Thankfully we were able modify the job we discovered this on and we didn't have to start over from scratch!! No I haven't reported this to THM yet. I'm new to the forum, how do I go about doing this?
Jesse
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Jesse Ogburn wrote:Yeah, something not immediately obvious like this could cost quite a bit on a large job. Thankfully we were able modify the job we discovered this on and we didn't have to start over from scratch!! No I haven't reported this to THM yet. I'm new to the forum, how do I go about doing this?
Jesse
Hi Jesse.
In eCabinets click on communications at the top of your screen. Then click on feedback. Under What kind of feedback would you like to send? Select bug report. Then describe what is happening and fill out the rest of the form. And attach a file if needed.
Jesse Ogburn

Post by Jesse Ogburn »

Thanks Scott, I sent in a report so hopefully this will be corrected soon!
Jesse
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for reporting the issue. I have it listed and we will get it resolved as soon as we can.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Scott G Vaal wrote:Gentlemen,

Thanks for reporting the issue. I have it listed and we will get it resolved as soon as we can.
Just in case you guys have not caught this yet I have found out that if you change any of the sheet stock in custom layout all of the cabinets that are selected will resize by the combined scribe even if they are not using that particular material. For example if you select all cabinets including the uppers and you have a 5/8 sheet stock that you are using for your drawer boxes only (no other cabinet part is using this) and you change this material to a ½ inch sheet stock. Then every cabinet that is selected will resize.
Jesse Ogburn

Post by Jesse Ogburn »

Scott G Vaal wrote:Gentlemen,

Thanks Scott, I have discovered various work arounds to accomplish what I need, but that will be great to have everything working correctly. Thanks for a great product!
Jesse