Can't find approapriate tool ?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Can't find approapriate tool ?

Post by Dale Wills »

Hi all,

I'm trying to machine out some material that has 54.4mm wide dado's to accommodation for 54mm thick shelves. When writing the code I'm getting this error -
"There was a problem finding an appropriate tool for an operation. Please check the CNC file for the problem."
Now, within the CNC code I found the following error message which is associated with performing the routing operation for the dado.
"Error: tool size between 54.401 and 27.200 not set up in tooling"
Within the tooling settings of control nest we have a 12.7mm cutter assigned to perform Rout/Dado operations and has a '38mm max interpolation diameter'
What am I missing here. This 12.7mm cutter should perform this operation shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance,
Dale
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Can't find approapriate tool ?

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Dale,

To cut the 54.4mm dado your tool will need to be at least half that diameter, 27.2mm.
I think the interpolation is just for pocket operations not dados.
A dado is just a four sided box that gets cut so the tool must be half the width to clean everything out.
Dale Wills

Post by Dale Wills »

Thanks Kerry,

I knew there was some rule there governing dados but couldn't quite remember. I have been out of the game too long now.
Perhaps this is something that could be altered in control nest. It seems a tad restrictive on the machines ability to not be able to perform this operation given that the 12.7mm cutter could perform this with 1 extra pass. Basically it means having to buy a new larger diameter cutter for those rare occasions where you need to machine large width dados.
I will get by this by just creating some dummy shelves in ecabs and leave a small gap between the shelves to fudge a 54mm wide dado. Any other suggestions on how to tackle this muchly appreciated.

Dale
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Dale,

You could create the dados in the part editor manually and they will then be considered a pocket cut and you can then use your smaller tool as the pocket tool.
Dale Wills

Post by Dale Wills »

awesome...thanks Kerry
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Guys, control nest 5.80 added the ability to pocket dado's that were to large for the tool. What version are you on Dale?

Forrest
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Gentlemen,

As Forrest just mentioned, the latest Control Nesting (5.80+) will now attempt to pocket dados when an acceptable size range dado tool is not found. It's a great new feature, so do not do extra work making part editor dados just to achieve this. Let us know if you run into any issues.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000