eCab to Thermwood router-Learning Curve?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

TonyGiunta
Company Name: ToSa Design

eCab to Thermwood router-Learning Curve?

Post by TonyGiunta »

Hi,

Wanted to know from current Thermwood 3 axis owners who use eCab mostly to process and cut cabinet parts. What I'm looking to shed some light on is more of the details of the "learning curve" facing someone who knows how to use eCab well but has never cut up the parts using the router. I've read through the most recent version of the Nesting Manual which seems like it offers some good guidance regarding "how to"

If for the time being, I only want to cut cabs straight out of eCab using standard type materials i.e. pre-fin 3/4 ply, 3/4 TFM etc, what are the biggest hurdles? How much "programming" do you really need to do?

Yes I would like to do a few part editor cuts, not much profiling, curved pieces, nothing fancy... Wasteboard methodology etc?

I am under the impression that if the cabinet is designed in eCab then the transition to the router should be relatively straight forward given the constraining nature of the software??

Any input and advise to start making some dust appreciated! I am aware of the training program that Thermwood offers.

Tony
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Re: eCab to Thermwood router-Learning Curve?

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Hi Tony,
The Thermwood training will get you ready to cut on the router. If I'm not mistaken, I think the training program in included with the purchase of a new Thermwood router.
Hope this helps,
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

For traditional cabinets, the process of going from eCabinet's to the Thermwood is pretty easy. No "G-code" knowledge is required.

The parameters for tools, feed rates and many other aspects, like double passes and leaving a skin are all part of an initial setup. If you design a curved part or a Part Editor cut in eCabinet's, it isn't any different. If you design something like molding or an extruded profile, then another utility called Profile Modeler comes into play. There again, the initial setup takes care of everything and no "G-Code" knowledge is required.

Both programs, Control Nesting and Profile Modeler produce all the G-Code needed to process the parts. We feel strongly that a person should learn G-Code so that you can resolve or understand an error if it surfaces, plus you can often create a part on the fly.

Going from design to production is one click on a CNC button in eCabinet's, then loading the file in Control Nesting, then Nest it, click on the Write CNC button, press the Start button and read and comply with the prompts from that point on.

Dennis
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Tony,

Your cabinets in eCabinets will need to have all the correct joinery applied as well as fit and depth clearance settings for that joinery. You will need to make sure all your spacing and positioning for things like shelf pin holes is correct in your library cabinets as well. You might need to make adjustments to you construction for things like your edgebander. We must have at least a 1 inch shoulder on our lock dado joints or our banding trimmers get into the part. Get your cabinet libraries set up right and it goes smooth.
You will need to pay attention to actual material sizes and thickness when sending parts to the machine.
You will want to learn about tool and material setting groups as well. The Thermwood training we had mentioned this things but really didn't go into them. They may cover these thing a bit more now.
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Thanks Josh.

Thanks Dennis. I appreciate the process details. Doesn't sound too difficult. That's comforting.

Tony
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Hey Kerry,

Thanks for the additional details. From production sharing I do now remember about the edgebander clearance issues. Good to be reminded to get on the radar. When yo mention about "tool and material setting groups", can you elaborate a bit and/or point me to some source where I could study up on that?

Also if I can ask (and I know this may vary due to shop environments) what clearances do you provide for blind dado on let's say 3/4 pre-fin Maple ply and 3/4 TFM PB?

My mother was from Amarillo, but I only have been to Dallas Fort Worth area a couple of times to visit her mother and step father were living. I'd like to check out Amarillo one day though.

Tony
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

Kerry,

Nice work on your website BTW!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Tony,

The material settings and tool groups are in Control Nesting. You can download the Control Nesting Manual from the Thermwood site. These settings allow automatic changes to what tool is used as well a well as feed and spindle speeds to get the best cuts for different materials and get the longest life from your tools. This also gives you control of things. Your operator doesn't need to make changes when cutting different materials like hardwood. When the machine sees hardwood it knows what changes to make.

If you make it to Amarillo be sure to give me a call. 806-342-4554
TonyGiunta

Post by TonyGiunta »

I appreciate it Kerry. Thanks, Tony