Mirroring A Cabinet

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tracey Marini
Company Name: Crane Woodworking

Mirroring A Cabinet

Post by Tracey Marini »

I'm fairly new to this software. Does anyone know if it has the capability to mirror a cabinet? If not, I think that would be a great feature to add in the future if possible.

Thanks!
Tracey Marini
Crane Woodworking
Norwalk, Connecticut
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: Mirroring A Cabinet

Post by tim lucas »

Hi Tracey,
Not sure why you would need to mirror a cabinet. Once you create a cabinet and save it, you can place it in a room as many times as you want.
Or in cabinet editor you can load it as many times as you want and create an assembly.
Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Daniel Odom
Company Name: Carlton Kitchen and Bath

Post by Daniel Odom »

It would be useful for custom non-symetrical cabinets where you need to have a left and a right version, would save a lot of time when doing custom work.
Tracey Marini
Company Name: Crane Woodworking

Post by Tracey Marini »

Exactly Daniel.

For example, the situation that made me think of this is I have a medicine cabinet with a left hinge door. Behind the door I have two fixed shelves and a partition (held to to the right side of the cabinet) to create a space for a pull out magnifying mirror. Around those pieces are adustable shelves. I need a second unit with a right hinge door which means my fixed shelves and partition need to be on the opposite side of the cabinet. A mirroring featrure would've saved me a lot of time changing settings for all of my interior parts as well as having to remove some of them and put them back in.
Tracey Marini
Crane Woodworking
Norwalk, Connecticut
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Hi Tracey,
I am not sure of the construction methods or the shelf insets but changing your construction method slightly might allow you to build two identical units. For example, if you have a back on your cabinet and all of your partitions and fixed shelves are flush to the front of your cabinet,by using a plant on back you could just reverse the cabinet and use the back for the front of your second cabinet. It is not likely the solution you are looking for but it can see you through a job and save you the trouble of creating the cabinet twice. If your cabinet is symetrical top to bottom then sometimes turning it upside down might also serve your purpose. Again, without seeing your project it may or may not work. Just an idea. If you are just learning to use ther software You might want to look at the online training videos offered by thermwood. They have helped me a lot and I believe they are very reasonable in cost.

Ralph Balanik