CS45 Ram Upgrade

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Chris Vokes
Company Name: CNC Automation

CS45 Ram Upgrade

Postby Chris Vokes » Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:10PM

I am interested in upgrading the ram on our 2007 Thermwood CS45 as we are still at 512mb. The machine has a tendency to freeze and stop responding when I try to "write CNC" for large jobs or multiple parts with extensive toolpaths. The types of jobs also take long time to nest. There is almost nothing on the hard drive, no programs running in the background, and the cabinet has been vacuumed out recently. Can you tell me what type of ram I need to purchase or offer any other solutions?

Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: CS45 Ram Upgrade

Postby Will Williamson » Thu, Apr 30 2015, 7:44AM

I installed 4 gig of ddr400 in my cs 45. It helped a lot. but that is the max for an XP based pc . Got it from newegg.com
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram

Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Postby Gerry A Brown » Sat, May 02 2015, 9:04AM

Hi,

The best thing to do if possible is to remove the memory in the machine and insure you get the same configuration for the upgrade. That being said I have a 2007 CS 45 and have taken a photo of the ram configuration info. I will attempt to attach it to this post. As Will has stated with XP 4 gig is the most the system will use.

Gerry
Attachments
Memory.jpg

Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Postby Will Williamson » Sat, May 02 2015, 12:20PM

Hi Gerry
That is the same as my original ram. with the upgrade I have pushed programs through with 4 to 5 million lines of code.
I called thermwood tech support for the info.
One other thing xp will reserve a certain portion of your ram for virtual memory and will not let you use it. I'm not sure of the procedure but Kipp made a change so that I could access almost the whole 4 gig.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram

Gerry A Brown

Postby Gerry A Brown » Sat, May 02 2015, 2:01PM

Hi Will,

That is the memory module I took out when I upgraded the ram in out controller. I think it would be the same in a machine of the same year but it never hurts to check if you are going to order some. We also updated the hard drive. I remember something about the setting to allow XP to use all 4 gig of the memory but I have not done so on the controller. I agree updating the memory even without the tweak to use all of it was very worthwhile.

Gerry :beer:

Chris Vokes

Postby Chris Vokes » Sun, May 03 2015, 8:08PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
I have ordered 2 gigs of ram off of newegg (about $96 CAD) after removing the current module and photographing it to be sure I ordered the right type. I plan to upgrade the controller within the next year so this should hold me over and save me from those frustrating crashes for the time being. I'll update when I have installed the new ram.

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Michael Kowalczyk » Wed, May 27 2015, 2:39PM

your issue sounds like something i have encountered. make sure the file you are accessing is not buried in multiple folders or has a long file name. keep it in the part folder and clip the name if possible. let us know if the ram solves the problems.
thank you
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1

Chris Vokes

Postby Chris Vokes » Sat, Jun 06 2015, 9:20PM

Well the ram has helped speed things up but not as much as I had hoped. I am now able to load and nest more sheets and parts than before but I am not yet really satisfied with the speed.
That's an interesting point Michael. I will try to minimize some file paths and see if I can get a little more speed that way.
Overall I would do it again, the new ram has software crashes to a minimum and it will hold me over until we can get a controller upgrade.

Gerry A Brown

Postby Gerry A Brown » Sat, Jun 06 2015, 10:12PM

I have encountered the problem Micheal describes. The file would not even load until i removed it from the deep folder structure. That had me baffled for quite some time :wall:

Gerry

Return to “Thermwood 3-Axis Machinery”