Is anyone using Autodesk Inventor successfully?

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Is anyone using Autodesk Inventor successfully?

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

just checking to see if anyone using Autodesk Inventor successfully with your thermwood?
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Re: Is anyone using Autodesk Inventor successfully?

Post by Will Williamson »

Were you looking at this for a 3 D modeling solution? What software are you using with it for the Tool pathing?
I have been looking at Solidworks for 3D modeling. For either one you still need a separate tool path software.
I was hoping that since Auto Desk bought Artcam they woud venture into tool pathing
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Michael, I have a friend that uses Inventor and seems to like it but doesn't cam or link to the machine with it. He sends me the files and I use solidworks and Bobcam for SWs to cam and send to machine. Solidworks is a very good program and I was able to learn it in a very short time. The Bobcam plugin is also a really good cam program and at a very good cost. If you want a better deal on SWs you can buy the oem stripped down version from Bobcad for about half cost but you won't get the drawings package.

Forrest
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Will Williamson wrote:Were you looking at this for a 3 D modeling solution? What software are you using with it for the Tool pathing?
I have been looking at Solidworks for 3D modeling. For either one you still need a separate tool path software.
I was hoping that since Auto Desk bought Artcam they woud venture into tool pathing
inventor has what is called HSM; have not seen it work so i can't comment on it.

Solidworks does not do wood joints as far as i know unless you build them from scratch each time. not parametric or associative
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

I looked at Topsolid at the last IWF. They have a woodworking module that is one of the coolest programs I've seen in a long time. Basically its a 3D modeling program with industry specific features like custom joinery. The cam side is built in. I don't have any idea as to cost but its worth a look if your in the market.

Forrest
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Forrest Chapman wrote:I looked at Topsolid at the last IWF. They have a woodworking module that is one of the coolest programs I've seen in a long time. Basically its a 3D modeling program with industry specific features like custom joinery. The cam side is built in. I don't have any idea as to cost but its worth a look if your in the market.

Forrest
Forrest thanks. Topsolid wood is 20K plus post idid about a 2 hour goto meeting and threw everything I could thinkof and it was able to xdo it awesome program except for the price
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Hey Forest,
Downloaded inventor pro 2016 and woodwork add on very interesting capabilities. joinery options are unlimited except for CNC limitations or you will need a 5 axis or manual labor to complete a sliding dove tail will be doing a another webinar on Tuesday next week with both options and CAMming options also. May do subscription option. will let you know.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thanks Michael, will look into it myself. I would like to find a 3D modeling program to build my mdf door library in. I'm currently using CV and would like to dump the program.

Forrest
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Mike, it looks like "inventor for wood" is very similar to "topsolid for wood". Have you been quoted on it yet?

Forrest
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

yes I have and it still bust the budget. Looking at solid works now. can do most of what I need now and in the near future. lots of support just have to make sure the cam side is what i want. will look at bobCAD for SW and compare to master cam for SW
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

no go on Solid Works..can not handle wood joinery. Looks like Top Solid Wood nay be in my signature shortly and it can do just about anything.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Hi Mike does Top solid for wood have built in toolpathing ?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

well it can come with its own CAM and it is fully associative. or an interface is available to work with Enroute. there are several youtube vids showing it. PM me your info and once I get mine we can talk.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM