More about twd

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

More about twd

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Hi onceAgain,
With regard to creating a TWD file (see last post) I changed the material to a knotty pine plywood that was listed as .75". I still kept getting the 'Deck cannot nest " message so I removed the face frame changed the height of the frameless cabinet and left everthing else alone. I was able to change the material thickness and creat the TWD file needed. It would seem that the face frame would not allow the deck to nest. Would it have anything to do with the fact that the deck was well below the upper edge of the bottom Rail ?
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: More about twd

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hi Ralph. I do not think that this issue has to do with the deck inset as far as I can tell. I have played around with it and the conclusion that I have come up with is the fact that the tenon placement settings are causing the problem. If I set the placement for the right tenon back and the right tenon front to 0 then it will allow me to create the TWD file with the material thickness change that you posted. That being said I do not know why it is not triggering the same error for the top. If you explode the cabinet you can see that as per your original settings it is leaving very small tenons for the lock dados. This is probably not good. I am sure that this will cause problems at the machine unless you have a cutter set up that will make a dado that small. The file that I posted have the changes that I made to the deck to get this to work.

Just to give you a heads up do be careful about changing the material thickness at the time of writing the TWD. I have been bit by this before. I do not think that this feature was intended to go from for example .75 to .5 or vice versa. But mainly to tweak it.
Attachments
23.25 x 12 x 5 D medicine cab Scott Ms edit.hsf
(484.02 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: More about twd

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Hi Scott,
These little hicups only happen when I am trying to "gett er dunn." My work around for this was to remove the face frame but because there were insets I had to resize the framless so that it would be the same in size as it had been with the frame on. I will look at the file you sent when my head is fresher! I was not trying to resize from 5/8 to 3/4, that was "simply" an oversight(I think it might be my first :joker: ). I sit in front of this computer until I can't think. When I set up my fit tolerances I occasionally put a decimal in front of my material thicknesses therefore the narrow dados.

I will go back and double check that and rewrite the TWD again. I appreciate your time on this.