Just purchased a 2004 Thermwood CS40

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Andy Kreutter

Just purchased a 2004 Thermwood CS40

Post by Andy Kreutter »

This is a very clean Machine and it is in good shape. I do need to make some repairs from shipping damage. We are running a ShopBot with ecabinet software now and we have cut around 250 kitchens with the Bot without any issue. The Thermwood came with a vacuum Blower mounted to the bottom of the table. The company we purchased the router from never used that blower as they cut small parts with vacuum fixtures. The pump looks small however I can not imagine Thermwood building the machine and including the pump if it did not work to some extent? I am looking for anyone that has used this vacuum method to cut full sheets of cabinet parts. I also want to run V carve pro from Vectric. is anyone doing this and if so ware do I find the post for it? I am also looking for people that have this machine to give me any input or things I should watch for with this router? I am also considering the upgrade from Thermwood to the most current controller after we get the machine up and going and get some parts cut. Thanks Everyone!
Joe Soto
Guru Member
Company Name: Fancyridge Wood Products LLC

Re: Just purchased a 2004 Thermwood CS40

Post by Joe Soto »

Hey Andy, I have '06 CS40 with I'm guessing is the same blower. It works really well. I cut a lot of 1/2" Columbia prefinished at 600ipm with a 3/8'' 2 flute compression bit. I have my double pass set at 8" max part size and 4" min for leave skin. I could probably go less if I set the cut order to smallest to largest but its a lot of extra moves. The only time I have problems is when it wants to put a really small part in the corner closest to home and cut it after cutting the ones next to it.
A couple things to do would be sure the rubber seal between the aluminum table and 3/4" table board is tight in the corners. Mine had a small gap and was leaking air. A shot of silicone fixed that. Sand and seal the edge of the table board. I actually seal about an inch of the under side too. Most of the time I use 1/2" or 3/4" regular MDF for my waste board and seal it like the table board. It seems to hold smaller parts better. Also it last a really long time and doesn't curl up in the humid Kentucky summers. Joe
Andy Kreutter

Post by Andy Kreutter »

Thanks for the feedback. I hope to have power to the machine this week. I am going to be cutting 3/4 pre finished plywood most of the time. Looking for advice on a starting point for my settings to cut the plywood. With my small machine I do to climb pass cut and leave a skin that I clean up with a conventional cut. Our part come off our little machine looking great. We are looking to get similar results with the cs40. I allso want to do baltic birch dovetail drawer boxes for small projects and we arrived looking for advice on that allso. I gave some painted inset cabinet jobs comeing up allso. Has anyone used the puzzle joint face frame for a inset job? Thanks Andy
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Andy,
We use V-Carve Pro for some parts and there were 6 different posts for Thermwoods in the drop down menu where you save the file.