A couple of issues I need to solve with this cab design

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Carmen Addamo
Company Name: Frank Raffaele and Sons Custom

A couple of issues I need to solve with this cab design

Postby Carmen Addamo » Tue, Dec 29 2015, 8:44AM

The image is the top view of a double oven cab I'm constructing. I want to put end panels on each side. One side will just be 3/4 sheet stock and the other will match raise panel doors. The face frames overhang (outside scribe) the cab by 1.5". I want to apply 3/4 x 4 x 84 backing strips to the cabinet sides first. That's the first how to question. Then the 3/4" end panels which would bring my panels flush with the face frame.
My panels are constructed with a 1/4" wide by 3/8" deep tenon that fit into a 1/4 x 3/8 rabbet in the back side of the face frame. As you can see in the image I don't know how to put rabbet in the face frame. I'm also not sure of the best method to construct/apply the end panels with a tenon.

Lastly as I'm sure this issue will arise. I oversize my end panels for a wall scribe. When placing say a 26" deep cabinet with 26 3/4 end panels how will ecabs place the cabinet in the plan view. At 26" or 26 3/4" off the wall.
Attachments
Oven Cab.jpg

tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: A couple of issues I need to solve with this cab design

Postby tim lucas » Tue, Dec 29 2015, 8:08PM

Hello

To add the backing strips - in cabinet editor, add display panels of your choice wood and size. By adding display panels they will be set in your cut list and nested

You can use the part editor to rabbit the back of the face frame if you want to see it but otherwise when setting your panel you can butt join it or overlap it for display purpose it wont matter
do oversize your panel and if you want you can tenon it also using part editor.

When setting your cabinet to the wall the overhang in the back should just stick in the wall and your cabinet should be flat against the wall, so it should set at 26".

Wait! Do not forget to associate the display items to your cabinet and save your cabinet before you leave it, Or you can do it again - that's what I usually do :?

Just remember what ever wont automatically dado or tenon itself the part editor can most often make it work.

Hope this helps
Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us

Carmen Addamo

Postby Carmen Addamo » Wed, Dec 30 2015, 10:38AM

Tim Thanks for your suggestions. I originally tried the display panel but was having difficulties getting it in correct position. I was also hoping to have a system that would resize with the cabinets when necessary. Which I don't believe works with any display parts? I'm not well versed with part editor yet so I'm always looking for a work around. I just need more time with the software. Thanks again.

tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Postby tim lucas » Wed, Dec 30 2015, 11:52AM

Try the stretchers you will have to Play with it a little but I added one and gave it a negative inset to put it outside the cabinet and then lock the top and bottom inset and it resized with the cabinet
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us

Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Postby Clint Buechlein » Wed, Dec 30 2015, 12:19PM

Carmen,

You can use a stretcher to create your filler panels. You'll first need to set your face frames to be sheet stock. Add a top to bottom stretcher in a front back orientation. Change inset values to negative values to push it outside the cabinet internals. Then you can return to main and go to the Global tab in Construction Settings. Change to blind dado construction (if that's the type you use) and check the box for extend to face frames. If the stretcher doesn't pick up and extend into the face frame, you will need to go back into stretcher editor, select the stretcher, and change the front construction setting. From within that dialog you can also go into construction parameters and change your dado preferences. I've attached an example of this.

You can also use a stretcher to create your end panels themselves if you would like. Using inset values and the locks can change the size of the stretcher. You can use Part Editor to create contour paths to sweep a profile on the stretcher, making it look like a raised panel door if you plan to model them on a router.

-Clint-
Attachments
Example 3.hsf
(638.02 KiB) Downloaded 354 times

Carmen Addamo

Postby Carmen Addamo » Thu, Dec 31 2015, 1:09AM

Guys Thanks for all your suggestions. It is very appreciated.

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”