A common stretcher problem I need to address

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Carmen Addamo
Company Name: Frank Raffaele and Sons Custom

A common stretcher problem I need to address

Post by Carmen Addamo »

I use stretchers in Ecabs for many different applications. The one issue that always rears its ugly head is when I want to delete parts that were originally used only for the purpose of installing the stretchers. If I delete the part the stretcher will also be removed. I'm curious if anyone has a solution they would like to share.
One recent example was the creation of end panels with a face frame stile attached. I needed 3/4 thick spacers (stretchers) attached to the inside face of the end panel. So i take a basic cabinet and remove all parts except for the left or right side. Before I remove all parts I install a stretcher between the top and deck and adjust it into position attached to the side panel. Now when I go to remove the top/deck the stretcher gets deleted also. Looking for a solution to this problem FWIW I used a partition in place of the stretchers but when I re=size the end panel the partition does not remain in position and seems to disassociate itself from the cabinet.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Re: A common stretcher problem I need to address

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hi Carmen,
If you have parts that you have stretchers attached to. You can eliminate them from the cut list and/or cnc by making them phantom parts.
As for the partition you can use opening locks. For example lock the opening then set it to 0.
Carmen Addamo
Company Name: Frank Raffaele and Sons Custom

Re: A common stretcher problem I need to address

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Scott Thank You for the advice. I did have the opening lock set to zero. I found the problem to be the cabinet width was set to 1 1/2" which I guess was screwing with the software. I solved this particular problem by just placing the right and left sides of the cabinet together and giving the interior side (depending on whether I'm using it as a right or left end panel) an inset value.

I did consider the phantom parts route but didn't want the part to show up in my line drawings. Thinking about it now I guess I could just hide the part(s) in line drawings also. Will have to play with that.
Thanks again.