Detached Toe, a cabinet, and Custom Layout

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Greg Julius
Company Name: OuttaCyTE Technologies

Detached Toe, a cabinet, and Custom Layout

Post by Greg Julius »

Hi, I'm having two problems on my first go with the Custom Layout.

The first of the problems is that there is a stub wall (about 25") sticking out of the much longer adjacent wall. I started from the origin, went up some feet (Wall #1), took a right turn and went over some more feet (#2) until I got to the stub wall location. Took another right (#3). All good. But how to correctly restart the wall on the other side of the stub wall to begin wall #4? I did eventually place wall #4 in the correct place but had to make it 3.75" longer to accomodate the thickeness of the stub wall. I'd like to place a cabinet in the corner of wall #3 and wall #4, but it tries to jump to the dark "inside" line on the other side of the stub wall. I need the dark line on both sides. How can I solve that? Can I overlay two walls?

The next problem is that I have a detached toe that I've placed on the floor (@ #3 & #4). It's sitting on the floor and rises 3.5" just as I expect. Next I tried to place the cabinet that is going to sit on that detached toe and it won't go. It hops around but I can't get it to go over the toe. The cabinet does have a detached toe of 3.5" specified.

I associated both the toe and the cab with wall #4 (with the cabinet just sitting in the middle of the area) and then took a look Elevation/Wall view and I can see the cabinet floating 3.5" off the ground. But I can't seem to place it over the toe. How can I solve that?

Thanks all!
-g
Carmen Addamo
Company Name: Frank Raffaele and Sons Custom

Re: Detached Toe, a cabinet, and Custom Layout

Post by Carmen Addamo »

Gregg I'm new myself but will try to help. As Far as detached toe(s) I have always placed the cabinets first and then the toe. Associate the toe with necessary walls. Take a wall into elevation/wall view that the toe is associated with. Make sure in the placement option box you are in freestyle. Select the toe and move into position with the move increments or position specs.

As to your wall placement issues. Not sure if I am understanding but sounds like you are trying to place a short wall along the length of another wall to form a "T". If that is the case you can do as you described, turning at the stub wall location. You can then select the first wall and click on the node at the intersection of the original wall and the stub wall. You then specify a length for the selected wall and it will extend to your specs.
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

In elevation view if you highlight a single cabinet a menu appears on the left side of the screen. That menu has things like top , bottom, left right. you can simply input the numbers and the cabinet adjusts. If you have trouble placing it over a toe kick make sure that the toe kick is at the proper elevation.
Greg Julius

Post by Greg Julius »

Thanks Carmen & Ralph

For the stub wall (which does form a T with respect to the long wall) I found that I could go to Wall Options and pick Reverse Build Direction. That then put the dark line on the side of the wall where I needed it. That issue is resolved. I'll change it back when doing the other side.

For the cab going over the toe, I have a question still. Namely, is it supposed to be able to go over the toe without using freestyle? The toe is defined as 3.5" tall, the cab has a detached toe defined as 3.5". That should fit. Indeed, when looking at the elevations it does (visually) fit.

For now, I restorted to placing the cabinets and dropping the toe in the middle of the room. I then associated the cabs and toe with both walls, turned on freestyle and jockeyed the toe into position (close enough for display). Surely this isn't how it's supposed to work, right?

Blessings,
-g
Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

When you are in custom layout go to preferences and settings standard dimensions and check that you have your base cabinet mounting height correct. I was having the same problem a while back. One of the things that I did not relalize is that toe kicks are treated like cabinets and are also placed at the same distance from the floor. Someone pointed out to me that before you select a detached toe ,click on the down arrow in your detached toe selection box and you will see load options. Change your mounting height to zero before you put your toe kick in the room. What I do is I place however many toe kicks I need into my room at the same time. Then I select, resize, and move them around using "move in wire frame". Hopefully this may help you with your struggles. LOL (LOts Of Luck :D )
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

You are right.

This is not how it should work. I can take the standard detached toe cabinet from the standard cabinets library into a room. Then bring a cabinet into the room with the same toe kick settings that has detached toe checked and it place with no problems. That is unless I am in in elevation view when I try to place the cabinet. That is when I get somewhat the same results that you are describing.

Can you post the two cabinets that are giving you a fit?
Greg Julius

Post by Greg Julius »

OK, thank you Scott for that.

I took your idea and went to the standard cabinets and picked a toe/kick & modified it to 3.5" & saved. Picked a standard faceless cab, modified to 3.5" detached toe/kick, saved.

I was able to place these in the room with no problems. So then I removed both from the room, placed my toe/kick and placed the modified faceless from above and that worked. So, it's my cabinet.

The cabinet has a lower rail that descends from the bottom of the cabinet 1/4". There is no issue with the clearance because the toe is inset 3". However, I got to thinking this might be the problem so I changed the cabinet to have a 3.75" detached toe, saved, and tried that. That moved in just fine. So, I believe I've found the cause and have a workable solution. On the render, you can't tell that it's floating 1/4" over the detached toe. I just realized I needed to make my cabinet taller by that same 1/4" or my interior dimensions get adjusted.

@Ralph, my Base cabinet mounting height is 0". I have verified my cabinet has 3.5" detached toe/kick (before I modified it, same as the one above).

Thank you both for your replies.

Blessings,
-g
Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

I've been doing it the hard way so I'll try your way next. Thanks both for your input :?