Layers

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Kim Dang
Company Name: Mart Design

Layers

Post by Kim Dang »

Dear all,
I've been reading control nesting menu, searching topics in this forum hoping to find something helpful about DXF files. I got stuck there actually. I'd like to cut some logos. I thought it would be the same as .twd files but the reality is it has taken us a few consecutive days without any good result. When loading the DXF files, it said the file couldnt nest because of the thickness. I asked for help from an expert and he told me it's about layers. Could anybody plz help me with the layers? I totally have no idea about this. How and where can I input the depth and thickness? z#p###? Plz walk me through from A to Z because i am a newbie with dxf files.
Thanks a million
Kim
P.S: plz check the files and see if there's sth wrong
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Re: Layers

Post by Clint Buechlein »

Kim,

Have you gone to this link yet http://www.thermwood.com/software_manuals_main.htm and looked at the Control Nesting (interactive) yet? If you go there, on the left will be the option for DXF. It not only explains what each layer name is, there is a tutorial.

A layer will define an operation for Control Nesting to understand. All the geometry you draw is on a layer. You can draw or move the geometry to a different layer to get Control Nesting to understand it.

What are you using to create the DXF?

-Clint-
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Kim,

As you know, during our email exchange last week we sent you a fairly concise guide as to Layer Names and the requirements when used with Control Nesting. ("Layered DXFS - Detailed (2016-03-10).pdf")

Layer/level names themselves are not solely a function/feature of Control Nesting. Layer/level names are used in a variety of software to organize geometry into manageable related groups. (Think of a building floor plan with the general wall structure on one layer/level, the electrical wiring on a second and the plumbing on a third layer/level.)

As for the "where and how" to define these layer/level names and even how to move geometry to these layers - that is a function of your Solidworks software. Unfortunately we here at CNC Automation are not familiar with Solidworks enough to give you step-by-step instructions on how to work with layers/levels in that particular software. As I had instructed you, you may want to check with your Solidworks resources (tech support, tutorials, etc) in order to first learn how to work with layers/level in general within your Solidworks environment. Once you can move geometry between layers and modify the contents of the layer/level descriptions/names, you can then apply the conventions that Control Nesting requires to processed layered DXF files.

If you are unable to get assistance from a Solidworks resource, contact us at CNC Automation and we can arrange an on-line session during which we can try and help you figure out layer/level management in your Solidworks software.
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Go buy your self a copy of VCarve Pro and don't waste any more time on this dxf layer method. about $700.00
I'm speaking from personal experience, I wasted thousands of hours and dollars on the Dxf layer method.
Not to mention, all the money, Thermwood wasted on the hundreds of calls I made to tech support.
It will work for simple things. but not logos or lettering
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Clint Buechlein
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corp

Post by Clint Buechlein »

In reference to Will's response, it may have been a while since you have used DXF layers, but we recently added a Pocketclamp layer. The Pocketclamp layer defines inner boundaries for the pocket layer. Using it will allow you to create letters such as "O", "P", etc.

While I agree using DXF layers is not as versatile as VCarve Pro, it can get the job done on some tasks.

-Clint-
Dave Burtchell

Post by Dave Burtchell »

Make sure the problem isn't because the material you select isn't the same thickness as the z#p### layer in the dxf file. this will throw a an error when nesting.
Excuse me if this has already been covered.

Dave