hinge position difference by 2mm

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Chris Armstrong
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

hinge position difference by 2mm

Post by Chris Armstrong »

recently we have noticed when we do double doors the left hinge makes the door sit out 2mm away from carcus edge where as the right is flush. the pattern we have used for the hinge plate is the exact same as the right.
i measured the difference between the hinge holes on the right and left. the left was at 36mm and the right at 38mm. which is clearly where the 2mm is.
at first i believed it may have been because our y-axis was out or drill bank. but i noticed it had done the same thing on a 1992mm high double door cabinet. which can only be cut along the x-axis due to length

below is the left hinge door showing the gap:
lh hinge door-Optimized.jpg

below is the right hinge door as its meant to be like:
rh hinge door-Optimized.jpg

any ideas as to why it could be different increments?
Ralph Balanik
Company Name: Ralph Balanik

Re: hinge position difference by 2mm

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Could your left and right insets for your door reveals be different? Typo's are easy.
Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

Sorry Chris, I spoke too soon which is what I often do :D. You might try checking the distance in the line drawing editor and if the distance is different there then it would be software related likely. Is it possible that your home position is not at zero on the Y axis?
Chris Armstrong

thats what originally thought. but if its out on the left hand end and not the right hand end it makes no sense. if the y-axis was out i should expect both the left and right end to be out. i have checked the program and holes are in the correct place. which means the machine must be out somewhere but i dont know where due to the rh end being perfectly fine and is cut on the same axis
Ralph Balanik

Post by Ralph Balanik »

The correct distance for the hinge mounting plate is 37 mm from the front edge to center for the hinge mounting plates that I use. If one is 37 and the other is 39 then there could be a software problem. If the mounting plate holes are supposed to be 37 but one is thirty six and the other is 38 then that could mean that your zero could be out by a mm depending on how your material for the case ends are oriented on your table. I would measure this on the cabinet very carefully to determine which scenario applies.

It could be caused by your y axis being off due to backlash or whatever. maybe something has loosened, or positioning fence or pins needing adjustment or tightening. I don't know your practices for setup, the type, or age of your equipment, but I stopped using a measuring tape and started using good quality calipers and dial guages for setup and measuring. Extreme accuracy is essential when troubleshooting.You need to make sure that there is nothing loose and that any movement in any of your axis is not more than a very few thousandths.If your doing flip ops this is twice as important. Your y axis should be perfectly square to your x axis or flip ops become a disaster very quickly. I check my machine regularly to ensure that everything is tight. Check your manuals to see what the maximum backlash for your drives might be. I find that over time my machine can get out of adjustment and the first thing that happens is things like you are experiencing happen to me. I hope that some of what I have said might help :D

Perhaps someone else might have a suggestion as to what you might look for or try.
Chris Armstrong

hi, sorry for the late reply. was away from the office for quite a while. we upgraded the control nesting and so far the issue seems to be solved.
its a tad strange how we we updated the last control nesting and the hinges were fine. and then after a while it started to do the hinge plates out of wack and the fix was the new update of control nesting.

at least its working now if changes i will reply again but touch wood all will be good